A DAD could be paralyzed for life after catching a rare disease while on holiday in Cyprus.
Former firefighter Charles Jackson, 69, has lost his ability to walk after being diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome following a trip to the Mediterranean island.
The 69-year-old suffered from diarrhea and fatigue while on the getaway with his wife Julie, 68, in December 2018 and believed he just had a “24-hour bug”.
But upon his return, he felt tingling sensations in his legs and feet before later collapsing and requiring hospital treatment for 10 weeks.
Doctors initially told him he had both Campylobacter and E.coli, which can cause stomach pain and vomiting.
However, they later confirmed that he had Guillain-Barré syndrome, which causes the nerves in his arms and legs to stop working and is often triggered by viral infections such as food poisoning.
Charles, from Middlesbrough, is now suing tour operator RSD Travel Ltd after growing concerns his paralysis could become permanent.
He said: “It was such a shock to find out after my breakdown that I had campylobacter and E.coli, but that was just the tip of the iceberg.
“I started to feel tingling in my feet and legs, which worried me, and when I started to lose feeling completely, I knew something was wrong.
“It got to the point where my legs didn’t even feel like a part of me anymore.
Most read in The Irish Sun
He added: “To learn that I have Guillain-Barre Syndrome was a huge blow as I had never heard of it before.
But after the couple returned to the UK, Charles went to see his GP and underwent tests which found he had both Campylobacter and E.coli.
Shortly after, he gradually lost his legs and was admitted to James Cook Hospital in Middlesborough, where he was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
He still has a hard time walking even short distances unaided and is now much more reliant on his scooter.
He also finds it difficult to go to the gym and visit his family.
Clare Pearson, the international expert on Irwin Mitchell’s serious injuries who represents the couple, said Charles could face “long-term paralysis”.
She said: “Guillain-Barré syndrome can occur after a bacterial infection and can cause anything from deafness to muscle weakness.
“In very severe cases like this, it can even lead to long-term or permanent paralysis.
“The last few years have been incredibly difficult for Charles and Julie.
“What happened to them underscores the seriousness of gastric disease and why the effects should never be downplayed.
“Charles has come through the most challenging time of his life and understandably continues to have many questions about what he has been through.
“While Charles and Julie would rather not be in this position, they feel they have no choice but to take legal action to help them get the answers they deserve and to ensure Charles has access to.” any future treatment he needs to make the most of life.
“We urge RSD Travel Ltd to work with us to resolve this case. In the meantime, we will continue to support Charles and Julie as much as we can.”
Charles added: “The whole experience was a complete nightmare and even more than three years later what happened still has a huge impact on me.
“I’ve been working hard to improve the movement of my legs over the past few years, but there’s still a long way to go.
“We still don’t have any answers as to how this happened to me, so we had to take legal action now.
“It’s a path we really didn’t want to go down, but we need to know how this terrible disease came about. We also hope it will stop others from suffering as I have.”
Sun Online has reached out to RSD Travel for comment.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun newsroom?
https://www.thesun.ie/health/8677213/cant-walk-paralysed-rare-disease-trip-cyprus/ I can’t walk and could be paralyzed for life after catching a rare disease on a trip to Cyprus