‘I lost my roof tile due to storm damage – who pays for it?’

Consumer rights expert Martyn James from Resolver explains the next steps to take if your roof is damaged by recent stormy weather that rocked the UK – and how to fix it

Severe masonry and missing bricks on the roof of Trowbridge Town Hall, near Bath, blown away during storm Eunice
Your home insurance will be paid, but it can be a complicated and lengthy process

When your home is damaged, it’s easy to feel a little lost – and all the to-do seems overwhelming.

Someone recently emailed me asking: “After Typhoon Eunice Recently hit, my roof has been significantly damaged. I lost some tiles and got flood and weather damage to the top floor of the house. I feel a bit overwhelmed and nothing seems to happen. What do I do?”

The Met Office issued some life-threatening red weather Warnings were issued across the country ahead of the storm last week, as Britons faced life-threatening conditions from severe winds, snow, ice and rain.

Cyclone Eunice was joined by storms Dudley and Franklin, which brought bad weather to most parts of the UK.

But don’t worry – there’s a simple process to create insurance claim for any damage to your home. Here’s a guide to storm and flood requirements – even when things don’t go well.

Ready to claim insurance? Here’s what to do

  • Call your insurance company to document your claim and get as much advice from them as possible. Remember to write down when you called and who you spoke to.
  • Record any extra spending, including hotel bills and emergency repairs, as this may also be covered in your policy. Make sure to keep them in a safe place along with your insurance documents.
  • Do not authorize others to carry out repairs without first telling the insurance company. You may not be covered if the contractor you choose is more expensive than the insurance company’s option.
  • Take photos and videos of the damage that has happened, list all the damage to your home and furniture and even keep samples like carpets to demonstrate the quality of the furniture.

When you claim homes and assets, make sure you explain the impact to you personally.

Especially if you’re sick or have a young family and you can’t stay on your property – they’ll let you know what happens next.

They can even help you find (and finance) temporary accommodation if your home needs serious work.

What could go wrong?

The biggest problem with hurricane and flood claims is the time it can take to sort things out.

If your property has suffered structural damage, it can take a long time – in rare cases, years – before it is habitable.

During that time, you may be able to find alternative accommodation for a long time.

Resolver, a consumer claims service, also found many questions from customers about the contractors insurers use to classify flood damage, from loss adjusters to builders and professionals.

Don’t forget, your policy is with the insurance company, so if you’re not happy with the contractor, talk to the insurance company.

What to do if you are not happy

The main problem residents have with storm and flood claims is when things fall apart with contractors.

Remember your contract is with the insurance company – the policy guarantor. If you’re having a problem with anyone, from loss adjusters to builders and other contractors, don’t go around homes – see the insurance company directly.

If you don’t feel the contractors’ work is up to a good standard, document all your objections and see if you can get some free quotes from other contractors in the area. .

Don’t delegate work there and then though. Talk to the underwriter and see if they’re willing to replace the contractor based on your quote.

If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been handled, Resolver can help you with your complaint free of charge.

And if the insurance company doesn’t sort things out, we’ll refer your claim to the free Financial Ombudsman Service, which reserves the right to ask the insurance company to settle things if they agree with the claim. your.

Wear and tear

Although less common than contractor disputes, claims denied due to ‘wear and tear’ are only a second.

This is where the insurance company admits that damage has occurred but argues that the storm or flood was not directly responsible or merely a catalyst for something that should have happened.

Insurers – and the Financial Ombudsman – will look at the weather in your local area from official sources, which often clears up the whole ‘was it a storm’ argument.

Even so, wear and tear can be subjective.

If your fence is rotting, it will, in fact, fall at some point.

But tile falling off the roof is not necessarily a basis for denying the claim even if there is some wear. The key here is ‘should you/could you know?’ If you don’t think you’ve been treated fairly, make a complaint.

What about power cuts?

Of course, it’s not just property damage that you can complain about. Many people have I feel powerless for a long period of time.

First, if your local area is affected, make sure you check with older or more vulnerable neighbors to see if they’re okay. There are many local support services available through your local council and utility company that you can call on to help.

According to regulator Ofgem, anyone affected by ‘prolonged’ service outages can be compensated.

This is known as the ‘Assured Service Standard’ – the rules that govern when compensation starts.

Compensation increases depending on the length of the outage and is capped at £700 per household and comes from your energy network provider, not your energy provider.

If you’re not sure who this is, talk to your powering company. Any energy network provider must contact you about compensation. Still, keep this guide handy, in case you don’t hear anything.

Resolver can help you get your complaint about almost anything sorted for free. Learn more at

Read more

Read more 'I lost my roof tile due to storm damage - who pays for it?'

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button