Manchester Evening News reporter Emma Gill headed to her local Asda for a bargain weekly store costing just over £25 as she looked for ways to save amid the cost of living crisis
Video not available
Weekly grocery shopping can be a stressful endeavor for many families, especially during these tough economic times.
The cost of living crisis is hitting Brits hard and tough decisions have to be made every day.
Energy bills and council taxes are rising, as are fuel costs, and that means you need to shop for bargains where you can.
Therefore, buyers try to limit wherever possible, reports the Manchester evening news.
For many, this means changing shopping habits and paying much more attention to what is being spent in the supermarket.
Found any cost-saving hacks? Let us know at email@example.com
Manchester Family / MEN)
While some people turn their noses up at budget areas, there’s a reason Asda Smart Price and Morrisons Savers have become so popular.
That’s because they offer decent products at great value for money.
The same applies to low-cost providers such as Aldi and Lidl.
Our team of cost of living experts are here to help YOU through a very difficult year.
They bring you the latest money news and also offer expert advice.
Whether it’s skyrocketing utility bills, the cost of weekly groceries, or increased taxes, our team is always by your side.
Every Thursday at 13:00 they participate in a Facebook Live event to answer your questions and offer their advice. Visit facebook.com/dailymirror/live watch. You can read more about our team of experts here.
If you have a question – or want to share your story – please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admittedly, some of these aren’t to everyone’s taste – you don’t get the lowest-fat versions of meat and cheese, for example.
But if need be, the priority is to get food on the table and do it as cheaply and healthily as possible.
And it’s easy to overlook the most important things you buy week in and week out.
If you bought these simple smart price versions, they would hardly change the overall flavor of your meals but make a massive difference to your bank balance.
Not to mention the plump potatoes (2.5kg for 91p) and carrots (1.5kg for 45p) from the cheap fruit, veg and meat range.
Those prices are pretty much on par with Aldi’s Everyday Essentials Wonky Veg, and we all know how much people rave about them.
You can save on meat too, with chicken breasts costing around £3.38 for a large 620g pack and bacon £1.25 for 300g.
There wasn’t a 39p Smart Price bread in stock, but Asda’s own costs a very reasonable 59p for an 800g loaf and is something worth spending those extra pennies on.
But there are many more products to save on if you’re willing to sacrifice your fancy labels.
Do you really care enough about your brand of loo roll or cleaner to squirt on something that literally goes down the toilet?
Manchester Family / MEN)
My range of products from the Asda budget ranges cost me just over £25 and I’ll be honest I felt a bit of an idiot.
A fool to poop on these cheap brands for so many years without thinking about what items I could so easily swap into my weekly shop without sacrificing quality or taste.
From now on the 30p toilet cleaner goes down the drain and not my hard earned money.
It’s about playing it smart.
Here is the full list of products in my Asda budget shop
- Smart Price Dishwasher Tabs 30 pack £1.50
- ASDA Farm Stores Round Salad 42St
- Smart Price Eggs 15 pack £1.18
- Smart Price toilet cleaner pine 750ml 30pcs
- Smart Price rim block pine each 20pcs
- Smart Price Toilet Paper 6 Double Rolls £1.93
- Smart Price Long Grain Rice 1kg 45St
- Smart Price All-Purpose Cleaning Cloths 10 Pieces 35 Pieces
- Beef stock cubes 12x10g 55 pieces
- Smart Price lemonade 2l 23p
- Smart Price pasta shapes 500g 29pcs
- Smart Price Lightly Salted Sharing Tortilla Chips 180g 43pcs
- Smart Price garbage bags 75 liters 45 pieces €1.07
- Smart Price sponge cleaner 8 pcs. 40 pcs
- Smart Price peach slices in light syrup 411g 31pcs
- Smart Price tuna pieces in brine 145g 59pcs
- Farm Stores White Potatoes 2.5kg 91St
- Smart Price Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice 400 gx 2 56 pc
- Smart Price Ready Salted Multipack Crisps 12x18g 93pcs
- Smart Price cling film 60×300 60 pieces
- Smart Price Orange Squash with no added sugar double strength 750ml 41pcs
- Smart Price Garlic Bread Baguette 170g 32St
- Smart Price Salted Butter 250g £1.45
- Farm shop carrots 1.5kg 45pcs
- Smart Price coleslaw 300 g 37 pieces
- Smart Price Wafer-thin slices of cooked ham 400 g €1.69
- Farm shop chicken breast fillet portions 0.56 kg 1.89 €
- Smart Price Aged White Cheddar 825g £3.65
- Farm Stores Unsmoked Back Bacon 300g £1.25
- Square cut medium white bread 800 g 59 pieces
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/i-spent-2517-asda-smart-26675735 "I spent £25.17 on Asda Smart Price products and felt like an idiot."