Lifestyle

I want all parents to see my young son and know the potential dangers of a bug bite

A MUM has issued a warning to other parents after her baby developed a viral brain infection that caused him to have seizures.

Bec Kinross, 39, was horrified to discover her baby, Sam, had contracted the virus two weeks earlier from a mosquito bite.

Sam was hospitalized for a month after contracting JEV

3

Sam was hospitalized for a month after contracting JEVCredit: GoFundme
Bec warns other moms out there to be wary of being outdoors

3

Bec warns other moms out there to be wary of being outdoorsCredit: GoFundme

Through her son’s story, Ms. Bec wants to remind parents to be very careful when going outdoors.

She and her family were camping at a caravan park in Victoria, Australia when Sam was bitten.

Unusually, the four-month-old did not show any obvious signs of being bitten by a mosquito after the incident on January 26, according to 7News.

However, her son started showing symptoms two weeks later, including a high fever of 38 degrees Celsius and convulsions, so she called the emergency number.

Bec said: “I was completely paralyzed. The ambulance took 20 to 25 minutes to get here and I honestly didn’t think they would make it in time.”

Sam was taken to the intensive care unit at the Royal Children’s Hospital and was initially diagnosed with viral meningitis.

But on Wednesday, doctors confirmed that the good man had contracted the dangerous Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV).

JEV is spreading across Australia and has claimed the lives of two people in less than a month.

Recent floods in eastern Australia have created a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Bec says she can’t remember spotting a mosquito on Sam while on a family vacation with Luke.

“Looking back on the trip, I never saw a mozzie on during the whole time we were camping,” she said.

“I didn’t even notice a mozzie bite on Sam. No bite marks were seen on him for two weeks before or after both.

“He has a hot head and back – hot enough to make the wet washer we use on his head heat up very quickly and we constantly had to change it.”

Sam wakes up around 10:30 p.m. with stiff arms and flaccid lower extremities.

Bec said: “He woke up from a deep sleep in our bed with his eyes shining.

“Sam was staring at what I thought was our ceiling fan but then his eyes drifted to the left and he had stiffness in his arms and flaccid lower extremities.

“He started having seizures so we called him triple-0. Luke was a lot calmer because he knew I was a mess and he had to take responsibility. “

At that time, no one knew anything about the infected mosquitoes that spread JEV.

Sam spent two weeks in the hospital, where he had multiple seizures, had multiple tests including a lumbar puncture, 10 days of antibiotics and 21 days of antiviral.

“It wasn’t until we got home, continuing our hospital care with daily visits, that the doctor called to confirm the JEV results were back,” said Bec.

Sam – now 5 months old – is getting better, but still has to see the doctor every two weeks and is taking anticonvulsants twice daily for the foreseeable future.

The mother said: “My anxiety levels are at an all-time high, around the clock every day, worried because this variant of encephalitis does not define Australia.

“It broke my heart to see our normally cheerful and bubbly Sam go through this.

“Day by day … week by week, we need to track his progress and milestones.”

Speaking to other parents, Bec said: “Dress [them] Wear long clothes and use waterproofing.

“To all the moms out there, always trust your mummy instincts.”

JEV is spread only by infected mosquitoes and is more common in rural areas.

It cannot be transmitted from person to person, or when eaten by infected animals.

Most people with Japanese encephalitis have no symptoms.

But some will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain), which can be fatal or cause long-term nerve damage.

About 25 to 30% of those with symptoms die.

Bec also urged parents to sign up for ambulance insurance for their children after the family was slapped with a hefty bill.

She said: “We don’t have hospital insurance for Sam yet because it’s not something that’s on your mind too soon.

Russians'can hold out for 10 DAYS' as Ukraine destroys'13,500 troops'
Will Smith Releases Rebel Wilson Joke About His Marriage At Baftas

“As parents, we were required to sign up with Medicare, Centrelink for health appointments and paid leave – but were never prompted to join ambulance insurance.

“And now we’re left with a bill for Sam’s triple zero call.”

The family has set up a GoFundMe . Page to help cover their bills.

Sam is much better now but still needs doctor's care every two weeks

3

Sam is much better now but still needs doctor’s care every two weeksCredit: GoFundme
Russians'can hold out for 10 DAYS' as Ukraine destroys'13,500 troops'
Will Smith Releases Rebel Wilson Joke About His Marriage At Baftas

https://www.thesun.ie/health/8504772/mums-warning-as-baby-in-hospital-from-bug-bite/ I want all parents to see my young son and know the potential dangers of a bug bite

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button