The poet-turned-journalist and former prime suspect in the murder sent the letter to Commissioner Drew Harris last week as Garda management continues to assess whether the results of a preliminary Garda “scoping exercise” warrant a new investigation.
It is the third time Mr Bailey has written to the county’s top garda in the past 18 months for a full review which he claims would “clear his name”.
In his letter seen by the Sunday independent, the 65-year-old writes: “In light of the correspondence I have had with you over the past year, I would like to inquire about my request for a review of the case relating to the murder of Ms Sophie Tuscan du Plantier and the false allegations made against me. Can you let me know the current situation?”
Calls for a cold case review into the 1996 murder of the French filmmaker were repeated by Ms du Plantier’s family.
Their only child, Pierre Louis Baudey-Vignaud, raised the possibility of a full investigation into his mother’s murder when he met Chief Supt Con Cadogan of the West Cork Division in Schull last October.
A preliminary review of the murder by specialist cold investigators was completed in January.
The report – designed to recommend whether or not a full investigation into the murder is warranted – was then presented to one of the country’s senior Gardaí, Deputy Commissioner John O’Driscoll.
Asst Comm O’Driscoll is responsible for Special Crime Operations in A Garda Siochana.
Late last year, the force appointed the team to conduct a preliminary assessment of the investigation into the murder. Sources described it as a “scoping exercise”.
Four detectives from the Serious Crime Review Team, commonly known as the cold case unit, examined the 4,000+ page case file, which was filed four times with the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
The team is understood to have investigated whether forensic issues and technological advances merited a revisit of the case.
It also examined testimonies and whether people who refused to cooperate 26 years ago may have changed their position, possibly due to a change in their personal circumstances.
Mr Bailey has been arrested twice in connection with the murder of Ms Toscan du Plantier in Ireland but has never been charged. He has repeatedly denied any involvement in the killing.
The Englishman said when contacted last week he was “surprised” that Gardaí have yet to confirm whether a full investigation into the murder will be launched.
A cold case team traveled to West Cork last year and conducted an initial investigation.
“According to media reports, this team has submitted its report and recommendations to Senior Gardaí. It’s amazing that we still don’t know what’s going to happen next. Both I and the du Plantier family have called for a full review of the cold case. I think it would clear my name,” he said Sunday independent.
The writer was sentenced to 25 years in prison in France in 2019 in absentia of the French woman’s murder.
The Irish courts have rejected three attempts by the French authorities to extradite him. In an interview with that newspaper over Christmas, Bailey said it was clear the French were determined to hold him accountable.
“Technically, I am an international refugee. The French are still trying to get me. It doesn’t keep me up at night. But until it’s over, it’s not over.”
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ian-bailey-writes-his-third-letter-to-garda-chief-about-sophie-toscan-du-plantier-review-41538458.html Ian Bailey writes his third letter to the Garda chief about Sophie Toscan du Plantier’s “review”.