An Irishman has been arrested after a man’s body part was found in a suitcase in a streetside dumpster in Barcelona.
The 51-year-old was held with a second man, who was described as Ukrainian in connection with the gruesome find.
The unnamed Irishman was remanded in custody on suspicion of murder after appearing before a judge at a closed court hearing, it emerged today.
The second man was released on bail.
Court sources confirmed that the suspect, who was in custody, was Irish.
The murder victim is a German man who police have been able to identify, although they are still awaiting the results of DNA tests before they can be 100 percent sure of his identity
He is understood to have rented rooms to the two men being held by police.
Only his torso was found in the suitcase in a dumpster in central Barcelona near the apartment, on the corners of a street called Avenida Roma and another called Calle Casanova.
Police made the gruesome discovery last Tuesday, but the suspects were only brought to justice yesterday after being arrested on Friday and Saturday.
During a search of the apartment, investigators are said to have discovered blood from the victim and evidence that he was dismembered at the address.
Barcelona Regional Police of Mossos d’Esquadra said in a statement confirming the two arrests before the men went to court and one was revealed to be an Irish national: “Mossos officers from Barcelona Criminal Investigation Department have two Men, ages 31 and 51, were arrested pending the discovery of some human remains in a dumpster on November 29 at the corner of Casanova Street and Rome Avenue.
“As part of the investigation, a house was located in the city of Barcelona where possible evidence of a violent death was found.
“The two arrested were handed over to a judge for further questioning.”
The victim’s torso is the only body part found so far. He was named as Alex.
One of the two men was detained late Friday and the other the following day. According to local reports, he was arrested on a bar terrace after fleeing the property where the German was believed to have been killed and his body dismembered.
The Ukrainian is understood to have been released on bail because police concluded he was not at the home when the victim died and had only lived there for a short time.
Surveillance cameras are said to have played a key role in the arrest of the Irishman, who was reportedly already on trial for violent crimes.
How long he lived in Spain and what the motive for the killing might have been was not immediately clear today.
Municipal workers sounded the alarm around 11am last Tuesday after a scrap dealer came across the torso while going through the rubbish in the container.
The scrap dealer, known locally as Chiprian, told local media after the gruesome discovery: “My job is to sort through the rubbish and when I saw the black suitcase I thought I’d found something good.
“When I opened it to see what was inside, I was greeted by an awful smell that I initially thought was rotten meat that a bar had discarded or leftover food.
“It wasn’t until I zipped it back a little further that I saw it was a body with no hands, feet, or head.
“I informed a kiosk owner I know who was in the area and told him to look inside too and he thought it was a mannequin at first.”
Local reports at the time indicated that the victim was killed shortly before the gruesome find.
The apartment where the Irish suspect lived with the man he allegedly killed is a large eight-story block near the Dumpster, where most of the residents are tenants.
A neighbor told the respected Spanish daily El Pais: “People were coming and going from the apartment all the time. We were never really sure who lived there.”
The Irishman is the suspect who was arrested on a bar terrace on Saturday after allegedly fleeing the area.
The Ukrainian is unlikely to be charged, but was held in custody as a precaution.
The age of the man killed has not yet been released as police remain awaiting the results of DNA tests which they hope will prove his identity.
No details have been released about how detectives believe he may have been killed.
Searches are understood to be ongoing for other parts of the dead man’s body that could prove key to the case.
A court official, who confirmed the nationality of the man being held in custody, said: “Barcelona’s Correspondence Court No. 23 has remanded in custody one of the two men arrested for the discovery of a torso in a dumpster in the city.
“He is an Irish citizen.
“The other man has been provisionally released. Nobody asked for his detention. He had to hand in his passport and was banned from leaving the country and regularly signed in court.
“The case is being investigated as a homicide.”
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/irishman-arrested-in-spain-after-mans-torso-found-in-suitcase-in-rubbish-bin-42199506.html Irish man arrested in Spain after man’s torso found in suitcase in rubbish bin