Irish pensioner Thomas O’Halloran’s grandson, who was killed in London, had to identify his body

The grandson of Irish pensioner Thomas O’Halloran, who was stabbed to death in London, has had to identify his body, an inquest into his death has heard.

r O’Halloran, originally from Ennistymon in Co Clare, died after being stabbed in the chest in Greenford on Tuesday 16th August.

An August 17 autopsy revealed that the grandfather, who was “known throughout the community,” gave the preliminary cause of death as a stab wound to the neck and chest.

Dennis Linter identified his grandfather’s body at the Fulham public morgue, where the inquest said the elderly man had been stabbed repeatedly in the neck, chest and abdomen.

Just after 4pm on August 16, police received a 999 call from a member of the public who was driving the victim in his scooter out of a passageway that runs between Runneymede Gardens and Welland Gardens.

At that point, Mr O’Halloran was able to tell the passer-by that he had been stabbed, although obvious wounds could be seen on his body.

Police arrived within minutes to find Mr O’Halloran had collapsed and was being helped by members of the public.

Police and paramedics administered first aid, but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:54 p.m.

“Despite the best efforts of everyone present, he died soon afterwards,” Detective Inspector Laura Nelson said at the opening of the inquest on Tuesday via video link at West London Coroners Court.

CCTV footage allegedly identified suspect Lee Byer, 44, who was arrested on suspicion of killing Mr O’Halloran in what a prosecutor described as a “vicious assault”.

Byer, who is of no fixed address, was charged on August 19 with the murder of Mr O’Halloran and possession of a large knife.

On Tuesday 23 August he made his first appearance at the Old Bailey before London judge Mark Lucraft QC.

The accused emerged from custody at Belmarsh Prison via video link wearing a gray tracksuit.

Judge Lucraft has scheduled a hearing for November 8 with a preliminary trial of up to three weeks beginning May 2, 2023.

The inquest into Mr O’Halloran’s death has been stayed pending the outcome of the criminal case.

Mr O’Halloran, originally from Co Clare in the west of Ireland, was a passionate musician and was described as ‘very popular’ in Greenford, often busking for charity.

Footage on social media shows him collecting street music for Ukraine months before the murder.

He leaves behind his family, including his sister, two brothers, nieces and nephews.

Fine Gael Senator Martin Conway said Mr O’Halloran had regularly visited Ireland and that his death had left his home community in Ennistymon in “deep shock and sadness”.

“Tommy, as he was known, left Ennistymon for London 71 years ago but traveled home almost every year until about 10 years ago,” he said. Irish pensioner Thomas O’Halloran’s grandson, who was killed in London, had to identify his body

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button