Irish woman arrested on the run for eight years after double murder in South Africa

An Irish woman who has been on the run for eight years after the double murder of two best friends has been arrested in South Africa.

uth Lawrence (42), originally from Clontarf, Dublin, was at the center of a worldwide manhunt until police were busted at dawn yesterday.

The Hawks – an elite unit of South Africa’s police force – said they were acting on an international arrest warrant and that Lawrence will appear in court today.

She fled Ireland with her then-boyfriend Neville Van Westhuizen, 39, in 2014 and made their way to his native country of South Africa.

Her boyfriend is also wanted in connection with the double murder but is already serving a life sentence in South Africa for the horrific murder of a teenager.

Gardaí confirmed that the two murder victims, Eoin O’Connor, 32, and Anthony Keegan, 33, were not criminals or part of a drug gang, but have not revealed a motive for the double murder.

The victims were wrapped in plastic sheeting and found in a shallow grave on Inchicup Island, Lough Sheelin in Co Meath eight years ago.

Lawrence split from then-boyfriend Van Westhuizen in 2017.

Hawks spokesman Capt. Christopher Singo said key information about Lawrence and her whereabouts was received on September 28.

She was arrested yesterday in Pellissier, Bloemfontein, in connection with the murder of “best friends” Mr O’Connor and Mr Keegan.

Their bodies were found wrapped in plastic sheeting and buried in a shallow grave, and Interpol has been looking for them ever since.

Her former boyfriend is currently serving 15 years in a Durban prison for the 2017 murder of a teenager and is being questioned by police.

Cpt Singo said: “Your arrest follows an Interpol warrant relating to the murders of Eoin O’Connor, 32, and Anthony Keegan, 33, in Ireland.

“They were both found murdered in 2014 and after killing the deceased, the suspect then fled the country to South Africa.”

Van Westhuizen was sentenced to 15 years in prison by the High Court in Durban in 2017 on charges of murder, attempted murder and kidnapping.

The court heard he and three other men grabbed three teenagers at a local tattoo parlor who they suspected of stealing a cellphone that was being charged.

They severely beat the three boys and then forced them to drink a poisonous brew, then let them go, but one of the teenagers later died after stumbling home.

The court said that Neville Peter van der Westhuizen was also wanted by the Irish police in connection with a murder. Irish woman arrested on the run for eight years after double murder in South Africa

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button