HUNDREDS of Islamic State fighters have escaped prison in Syria, following a series of coordinated attacks by their Jihadi comrades that involved car bombs and suicide vests.
The massive attack on the Gweiran prison in the city of Hassakah in northeastern Syria is believed to have killed at least 200 people after hundreds of ISIS fighters attempted to storm the site.
Up to 4,000 Islamic State prisoners are held in the prison, including 700 children, known as the “Cubs of the Caliphate”.
Sources claim the children were used as “human shields” to prevent Kurdish-led forces from retaking the facility.
Unverified video from the prison raid shows the bloody aftermath, with corpses strewn across the ground.
Another video shot from inside the prison shows dozens of Muslim fighters believed to have pledged allegiance to the Caliphate before beginning their planned escape.
Speaking to The Sun Online, British war hero Alan Duncan, who has fought the Islamic State in Syria, said his sources on the ground warn that ISIS is “getting revenge” .
“It’s been a huge morale boost for ISIS,” he said. It tells their supporters to keep the faith, they’re not over.
Alan, 54, from Scotland, explained that the attack on the vast Gweiran site was “extremely coordinated, there were 200 ISIS fighters outside, and three car bombs were set off.
“The escaped prisoners were given suicide belts by their comrades before the militants entered civilian areas.”
ISIS claimed responsibility for the prison break, which began Friday, on its Amaq media site.
Another unverified video released Saturday appeared to show armed men breaking into the prison and raising the black flag of ISIS.
On Sunday, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said at least 17 of its soldiers had been killed fighting IS at the prison.
Fighting is believed to be continuing, although an alternate video shows several ISIS fighters lining up against the prison wall after being recaptured.
Alan said: “There will be some Britons among the escaped prisoners, as well as among the ‘Cubs of the Caliphate’.
“These children were taken from their parents at the age of 12 in an attempt to rehabilitate them in prison. They are also victims of ISIS.”
This attack should be a wake-up call
And he warned that many of those escaped fighters would find their way to Europe “with revenge in mind”.
He added: “This attack should be a wake-up call. It has been planned for at least six months in advance. This will trigger mimic attacks to try and free more prisoners. more ISIS.”
Islamic State has said it wants to free women and children from camps like Al-Hawl, where former ISIS bride Shamima Begum lives.
According to the US government, the majority of the 60,000 camps are run by the Islamic State, using it for indoctrination and recruitment purposes.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) estimates that about 15% or 9,000 of the camp’s residents are from countries other than Iraq or Syria.
Alan warns that camps like Al-Hawl are a “ticking time bomb” of extremism.
The attack was one of the deadliest by IS since the so-called caliphate was defeated by the US-led coalition three years ago.
Alan also called for more support for the SDF to stop ISIS, including extra support, equipment and training.
On Monday, the SDF said it had recaptured parts of the prison.
The US-led coalition said the violence first erupted after IS fighters seized weapons from prison guards before killing them.
At the same time, an attack was launched by gunmen outside the prison, while militants attacked neighboring civilian reports.
Unconfirmed reports said one victim was beheaded.
Major General John Brennan, a top US commander in the fight against ISIS, said in a statement: “Despite its military defeat, Daesh remains an existential threat to the region.
“Due to its severely impaired ability, Daesh’s future survival depends on its ability to re-rank through sketchy efforts like the prison attack.”
https://www.thesun.ie/news/8257076/isis-prison-break-bloodbath-syria-200-killed/ ISIS bloodbath with ‘200 killed and hundreds freed’ from Brit jihadist detention as vids show carnage