Jay Abatan: The death of a man after an attack on a Brighton nightclub

A vigil was held to honor a man who was fatally assaulted outside a nightclub, as his family urged police to reinvestigate his death.

Jay Abatan, 42, was attacked outside the Ocean Rooms nightclub in Morley Street, Brighton, in January 1999 and died of his injuries five days later.

Now, on the anniversary of his death, his family have gathered outside Brighton Police Station on John Street to “put pressure” on the force to “do the right thing”.

Michael Abatan, Jay’s brother who witnessed the attack, said: “I want justice for my brother. I promised him 24 years ago that I would try to get justice for him and to this day I can say that Sussex Police cannot bring themselves to get justice for Jay.

The Argus: Jay Abatan died on January 29, 1999Jay Abatan died on January 29, 1999 (Image: Abatan family)

“Last year a witness came forward and I gave them the evidence and that was a pretty compelling witness.

“This vigil just goes to show that 24 years after Jay’s death, people are still thinking about him and wanting justice for him.”

Jay’s sister Michelle added: “We hope the police will help us get justice for us as a family so we can be at peace and celebrate his life knowing that justice has been done for the unlawful killing of a man. ”

Michael added that the family is due to have a meeting with Sussex Police later this year but have been told there was not enough new evidence to move forward with the investigation into Jay’s death.

The Argus: Jay Abatan's brother and sister Michael, right, and Michelle, leftJay Abatan’s brother and sister Michael (right) and Michelle (left). (Image: The Argus)

Jay Abatan died after being attacked while waiting for a taxi after going out to celebrate a promotion at work.

During an inquest into Jay’s death in 2010, a coroner recorded a verdict of wrongful death.

Despite investigations, no one has ever been convicted in connection with Jay’s attack. Two men stood trial for brawling and assault but were found not guilty.

Retired Chief Constable Nick May previously said the force had “publicly and frequently apologized for failings in 1999”.

The Argus: Michael Abatan speaks at the vigilMichael Abatan speaks at the vigil (Image: The Argus)

He said the force has “completely updated and reorganized the way it investigates crimes” since the case.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23284330.jay-abatan-mans-death-brighton-nightclub-attack/?ref=rss Jay Abatan: The death of a man after an attack on a Brighton nightclub

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button