A boy who suffered second-degree burns after being doused in hot chocolate during an Aer Lingus flight has settled a lawsuit in the Supreme Court for over €66,000.
ake Hegarty Murphy was 12 years old traveling with his grandmother to a family wedding in Malaga when the accident happened on board the Dublin to Malaga flight four years ago.
His solicitor, Aedan McGovern SC, told the court it was their case that Jake was ordered to remove the lid from the hot chocolate mug so he could pour milk.
However, the liquid was spilled on the boy’s thigh area, he said. A nurse traveling on the flight applied burn gel to the burns and stayed with him for the duration of the flight, he said.
After the plane landed in Malaga, he was taken to the hospital where he was diagnosed with second-degree burns. He was hospitalized overnight and treated with pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory drugs.
The lawyer said the boy was unable to swim for the duration of the vacation and also had difficulty walking.
After returning home, he visited his GP and received more pain medication.
For several weeks, he had to have his wounds bandaged every three days.
The lawyer said the boy had a pale scar on his thigh.
Jake (now 16), of Stocking Wood Green, Rathfarnham, Dublin, had sued Aer Lingus over the accident on the Dublin to Malaga flight on 3 October 2018.
It has been claimed that there has been a failure to provide a safe method of serving hot beverages, particularly hot chocolate.
It was further claimed that the boy had failed to warn of the known danger posed by the temperature at which the chocolate is served.
The court was told that the case was not about liability.
Judge Paul Coffey approved the settlement, saying it was fair and reasonable and he wished the boy well in the future.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/boy-awarded-66000-after-hot-chocolate-spilled-on-him-during-aer-lingus-flight-41833829.html Junge has been awarded €66,000 after being spilled on hot chocolate during an Aer Lingus flight