McGregor is now unlikely to fight before August after leaked UFC cards showed Jon Jones’ heavyweight fight with Stipe Miocic as the final card scheduled for July 30 promotion
Video not available
Conor McGregor is unlikely to fight before August after the Irishman was absent from the leaked UFC 276 and UFC 277 cards.
McGregor hasn’t fought since breaking his leg against Dustin Poirier last year but has made one Return to training to get active again. The Irishman has gained weight since beginning his recovery and has confirmed he is likely to switch to 170lbslooking to make a comeback later this year.
UFC President Dana White is notorious for fighting in his “war room” at UFC HQ in Las Vegas. During his appearance on Pivot Podcast, as of late July, unconfirmed cards were showing up on the whiteboards behind him.
A pay-per-view ticket was leaked on July 2 topped by Israel Adesanya’s middleweight title defense against Jarod Cannonier, with Nate Diaz fighting Khamzat Chimaev in a grand final bout. Another map was leaked on July 30th which will feature a heavyweight match between Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic.
These latest card structures suggest McGregor is unlikely to return until August as the Irishman is likely to headline a pay-per-view due to his superstar status. White had previously hinted that despite the Irishman’s suggestion, McGregor will not return just yet the “countdown is on” in a social media post.
The 33-year-old has also made one back to sparring and showed a impressive, toned physique since he increased his weightlifting during his time away from the octagon. McGregor’s manager Tim Simpson had previously claimed the summer was an unlikely comeback date but expects the former doubles champion to fight before the end of the year.
Who would you like to see Conor McGregor with on his UFC return? Let us know comment section under
“It’s really up to Conor [when to return]but I’m expecting this year,” Simpson said MMA lesson. “He doesn’t need to come back, the fact that he is who he is and what he’s achieved financially and athletically. After that injury it was like ‘now might be the time’ but he wants to fight again which is confusing to me and says a lot about him.
“I don’t think it will be in the summer, but there will definitely be a stage this year. Maybe we’ll see when the easy title fight happens and then go. He’s going to fight this year and it’s a credit to him, he has no real reason to fight other than the fact that he wants to and that’s impressive.”
Multiple options are on the table for McGregor, who has spoken of his desire to be penalized immediately Title shot at 170lbs against Kamaru Usman. The likes of Michael Chandler and Tony Ferguson have also challenged the Irishman, while McGregor could potentially challenge the winner of Charles Oliveira’s title defense against Justin Gaethje this weekend.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-ufc-return-date-26869756 Leaked UFC fight cards suggest Conor McGregor won't fight until August