The Sussexes were keen to bring a photographer to the Queen and Lilibet’s first face-to-face meeting, but the request was reportedly turned down, breaking a longstanding tradition
Image: Getty Images)
Banning Meghan Markle and Prince Harry from letting a photographer take their daughter’s picture was a “bitter pill to swallow,” a royal expert has claimed.
Lilibet, who recently celebrated her first birthday, is said to have been introduced to her great-grandmother during the platinum anniversary celebrations on June 2nd.
The Sussexes were apparently keen to bring a photographer to the couple’s first face-to-face meeting at Windsor Castle, but the request was turned down. reports The Sun.
Royal biographer Christopher Andersen has now called the photo ban a “bitter pill to swallow” and recalled how the couple’s son Archie was pictured with the Queen in 2019 at just two days old.
Mr Andersen, who wrote ‘Brothers and Wives’ – a book detailing the relationship between Prince Harry and William – told Royally US: “We now know that the Queen, well, the men in grey, really involved dealing with things that would not allow the Queen’s photo to be taken with Lilibet.
“That spoke volumes, it was a really bitter pill for Meghan and Harry to swallow. You must remember that Archie was photographed with the Queen, Prince Philip and Doria Ragland when he was two days old.
“It is traditional to have your picture taken with the monarch as a grandchild or great-grandchild. But that was a completely different feeling.”
Harry and Meghan made a straight-forward return to California, with members of the royal family reportedly concerned that pictures of the Queen and Lilibet taken by the couple’s photographer could be shared with US TV networks.
The Sussexes were noticeably out of the limelight during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations and were seen seated several rows behind Prince Charles and Prince William during Friday’s service at St Paul’s Cathedral.
They were kept at a distance by the royals during the celebrations and were left with no public appearances alongside the Queen, Charles, Camilla, William or Kate.
Harry and Meghan’s low key over the weekend meant they were present without Netflix cameras.
The couple reportedly left the UK ahead of the conclusion of the Queen’s 70th Jubilee finale events.
When the final of the £15m Platinum Jubilee Pageant kicked off outside Buckingham Palace on June 5, the Sussexes had already driven away from Frogmore Cottage.
The couple’s quick exit before the end of the anniversary celebrations came as experts claimed Harry was struggling to accept his new role as ‘king of the second row’.
Tensions have run high between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family since the couple’s Oprah interview last year, in which they made allegations of racism and Meghan spoke candidly about her fractured relationship with Kate.
The four-day weekend marked Harry and Meghan’s first public appearance alongside the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge since moving to the United States two years ago.
In an earlier statement, the Queen said she was “humbled and deeply touched” that so many had turned out to celebrate her platinum anniversary.
“While I may not have personally attended every event, my heart was with all of you,” she said.
“And I remain committed to serving you to the best of my ability, supported by my family.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lilibet-photo-ban-bitter-pill-27214958 Lilibet photo ban 'bitter pill to swallow' for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle - expert