There is a new update from the Lost Ark Team regarding the ongoing fight against botting in the game. While the team has taken many steps to try to minimize and keep bots out, there are many challenges that come with a free play. So the new update is in response to community feedback and acknowledges that some of the actions that have been taken and that are being taken could cause some pain points in the process.
There is a list of things they have already implemented to show how this problem can persist even with extensive measures.
- Several million accounts involved in bots, hacking or gold selling have been permanently banned.
- Level gated area chat to stop brand new accounts from spamming gold sale ads.
- The game’s automatic chat moderation has been actively updated with lines and phrases that we know are commonly used by gold sellers.
- Changed quest and event reward structures to add a stronger deterrent to using bots to farm gold.
- Updated and improved detection capabilities of Easy Anti Cheat to better identify and deal with bots.
- Enabling a native detection system to quickly identify and take action against malicious actors.
- Improved in-game reporting tools to help our players report bots and our support staff to respond to reports faster.
- Blocked IP from regions where we don’t have publishing rights that have shown large amounts of bot activity.
- Blocked VPNs to prevent malicious actors from circumventing IP bans.
While they have data showing that these collective actions have had some impact in reducing botting, gold sales, and overall spam, they know some are still slipping through. While the community has suggested things like captcha or two-factor authentication, with the amount of platform and network changes to implement, they would be too much of a hassle. Real name verification systems have also been proposed, but these have some major flaws, and since the Western edition has been implemented in so many countries around the world, each with their own laws and policies, there would be no consistent way to do it.
While this update does not provide the community with a full solution to the bot issue, they are responding to feedback and acknowledging the ongoing issue while planning more work and considering scalable systems to combat it.
Read the full update below Lost Ark.
https://www.mmorpg.com/news/lost-ark-updates-on-the-ongoing-battle-against-botting-and-responds-to-community-feedback-and-suggestions-2000125025 Lost Ark updates on the ongoing fight against botting and responses to community feedback and suggestions