News

Man dies of severe salmonella poisoning after eating duck eggs from country show

Niptoon Tavakoli, 65, died in hospital two months after falling ill in June 2019, an inquest jury heard on Monday – having eaten eggs from a stall at the Messingham Show

Niptoon and Cheryl Tavakoli - the retired retail manager died from one of the worst cases of salmonella seen by a hospital consultant
Niptoon and Cheryl Tavakoli – the retired retail manager died from one of the worst cases of salmonella seen by a hospital consultant

A man died of salmonella after eating four duck eggs he bought at a country show, an inquest has been told.

Niptoon Tavakoli, 65, died in hospital two months after becoming ill in June 2019, an inquest jury heard Monday.

A retired retail manager died from one of the worst cases of salmonella seen by a hospital aide after eating four duck eggs he bought at a country show, an inquest has been told.

His wife Cheryl told the Doncaster Coroner’s Court the couple bought six eggs from a stall at the Messingham Show in North Lincolnshire during a family outing on June 2.







Tavakoli died after eating four duck eggs he bought from the country show
(

Picture:

PA)







Mr Tavakoli died two months after eating the eggs
(

Picture:

PA)

Ms Tavakoli, 63, said the retired retail manager ate two of the eggs for his tea the day after.

She told the inquest: “He fried them really well. He didn’t like eggs too runny.”

She said that two days later he decided to eat two more eggs because he “really enjoyed” eating them.

She told the jury of seven women and four men that he cooked them the same way.

Ms Tavakoli said she woke up a few days later to find her husband had had diarrhea and vomiting during the night (D&V).

She said she had reluctantly traveled to Essex due to a death in the family and while she was gone he told her he had called an ambulance.

Ms Tavakoli said he told her paramedics they had given him advice but did not take him to hospital.

When she came home the next day, he was still not feeling well.

On Monday, more than a week after attending the show, the woman called 999 again and said she feared he was developing sepsis.

She said he had spots on his body and his lips and nails had turned blue.

The same paramedics were present and took him to Doncaster Royal Infirmary, but Ms Tavakoli said she was concerned about the crew’s attitude and that they were not traveling under blue lights.

She said: “They seemed quite rude to my husband – treated him like he was a fussy old man who had just had a D&V. But I was worried it was more serious. He was in a lot of pain.”

blank
Video is loading

Video not available

Ms Tavakoli said there were more waits in the emergency room and by that time her husband’s lips and nails had turned black.

The intensive care physician Dr. Jon Maskill said Mr Tavakoli was seriously ill at the time of his admission.

He said: “This level of severity of salmonella is unusual in my experience. It’s something you don’t see much of.

“I’ve been doing critical care for 27 years. He’s only the second person I’ve come across with Salmonella at this level.”

dr Maskill said antibiotics were being used to treat the disease, but it was clear it was still in parts of Mr Tavakoli’s body despite the medication.

He said sometimes attempts to remove body parts could help in severe cases, but there was no prospect of Mr Tavakoli surviving the operation.

He died on August 12, 2019 from multi-organ failure caused by salmonella.

Ms Tavakoli explained how, realizing the duck eggs could be to blame, she took the remaining two to the hospital for analysis and then scrubbed her house and threw away the cooking utensils.

She said she “felt like they were ticking time bombs in my house.”

Ms Tavakoli said her husband came to the UK from Iran when he was 19 and trained as a civil engineer but worked in retail management and hospitality before retiring three years ago.

She said: “I’ve never seen him as fit as he was. He was happy.”

She added: “He was enjoying life and waiting for me to join him in his retirement. Many plans.”

The investigation is expected to last five days.

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-dies-severe-salmonella-poisoning-27343857 Man dies of severe salmonella poisoning after eating duck eggs from country show

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button