Man jailed for threatening police in Selsey

A MAN who threatened to kill police officers at a trailer park has been arrested.

Jacob Woodford stayed at holiday camp in Selsey on September 8 last year.

He called 999 and claimed to have a sawed-off shotgun that he would use to harm himself.

During the call, he claimed he had a firearm and said he would kill any officers sent to respond to the incident.

He also made a false claim that a hostage was tied up in the caravan.

Armed forces and police negotiators were at the scene, and after a one-hour pause, Woodford surrendered and was arrested on suspicion of making death threats.

The Argos:

The 29-year-old, from Benhams Road, Southampton, was accused of sending a message containing a threatening message under the Malicious Communications Act and admitted the charge in court.

At sentencing on July 8 at Portsmouth Crown Court, it was revealed he had committed the offense a month after being sentenced to a suspended sentence for assaulting a police officer in Hampshire.

The court heard officers earlier visited the holiday park at 6.42pm and arrested a person known to Woodford on suspicion of assault. The person was later released without charge.

  • READ MORE: Two Brighton men convicted of selling Class A drugs

Woodford admitted to drinking vodka and blender before later calling to demand the person’s release from police custody and threatening to take his own life.

He then claimed, “I have someone here who can’t speak right now, he’s tied up.”

Woodford eventually agreed to surrender to the police and apologized for his “drunken error” during his interview.

When officers searched the trailer he was in, no weapons were found and there was no evidence anyone else was inside.

Woodford was sentenced to a total of ten months in prison for his misdemeanor and for violating his suspended sentence.

Detective Sergeant Chris May of Chichester CID said: “Woodford’s drunk 999 call has caused widespread concern.

“Our contact manager acted professionally to keep him calm and gather vital information, but Woodford further escalated the situation by threatening to harm himself and others.

“The offense he committed came less than a month after he was given a suspended sentence by West Hampshire Magistrates’ Court for assaulting a police officer.

“His threatening phone call has put him, our officers and other members of the public in needless danger.

“It also meant specialized officers could be prevented from attending a potentially critical incident elsewhere while responding to it.

“We are pleased with the outcome of this case. It shows our determination to prosecute offenders who endanger the public.” Man jailed for threatening police in Selsey

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button