Kamil Sobala, a Polish immigrant, was filmed being brutally beaten shortly after arriving in London and asking for directions on returning to live in the UK
Image: BPM MEDIA)
A Polish immigrant has told how he was asked about his origins and beaten unconscious in a brutal attack shortly after arriving in London.
Kamil Sobala asked his attackers for directions after getting off a bus at Victoria Station before being thrown to the ground and repeatedly slapped in the face on Elizabeth Street, images being filmed with a mobile phone.
The 31-year-old, who previously lived in London, had returned from Bath, where he had flown from Poland, he said MyLondon.
After the brutal attack, Mr Sobala said he was “shattered by the experience” that he “can’t even sleep” and that he is now afraid to even go to the shops.
The attack took place around 7:50 p.m. on Saturday.
“I was going to meet some friends and walked past the pub to ask for directions because my phone was dead,” he said.
“I wanted to know where I can charge my cell phone and where the subway station is. These guys, I asked them for help to find the station Then they asked me where I’m from and I said Poland.
“Then they started hitting me. It’s terrible. I’m just scared to go to the store, I can’t sleep and I’m scared and in pain.
“My back hurts, as does my eye, cheek and face. It was racist. They didn’t start attacking me, just when I said I was from Poland they hit me until I couldn’t remember anything.”
Footage of the attack, showing him being slammed to the ground, has been circulating on social media and Mr Sobala is reportedly now helping police with their investigation with an ongoing investigation.
Mr Sobala continued: “Now it’s bad because I’ve been drinking because it stops the pain. A lady posted a video of me calling the ambulance. I want to thank everyone who helped and this video is good because hopefully the guys will be caught.”
Having originally arrived in the country in 2013, he returned to the UK this year and moved to London to live with friends. He was in London just minutes before he was attacked.
The Metropolitan Police reportedly said of the incident: “Police were called at around 7.50pm on Saturday 18 June to receive reports of a man being attacked in Elizabeth Street, SW1. A man was taken to hospital for treatment for his injuries before being released. An investigation into the circumstances is ongoing.”
Bystanders reportedly criticized police for not being present at the scene, but the Metropolitan Police responded: “Officers did not attend the incident but have since spoken to both the victim and witnesses to the attack. The investigation to identify the person responsible for this attack is still ongoing. “
It continued: “When police receive calls about incidents they are evaluated on a number of grounds including whether there is an imminent threat to life. In this case, the caller stated that the suspect left the scene and an ambulance was called, meaning it was not rated in the highest category for an answer.”
There have been no arrests at this time. Anyone with information that might assist police is asked to call 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD7204/18June.
The Mirror has reached out to the Metropolitan Police for comment.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-moving-uk-savagely-beaten-27296241 Man moving to UK brutally beaten in 'racial hate attack' minutes after arriving in London