MANCHESTER United were forced to issue a new statement after Mason Greenwood was jailed Tuesday night.
The striker, 20, was re-arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and death threats after the initial police raid on Sunday.
Greenwood has been arrested by police in Manchester on suspicion of rape and GBH, and was questioned last night over new charges.
Manchester United suspended the player indefinitely following his arrest and released an updated statement following his re-arrest.
A club spokesman said: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation for violence of any kind.
“As previously announced, Mason Greenwood will not train or play for the club until further notice.”
A Greater Manchester Police spokesman confirmed the force was given extra time to check on the £75,000-a-week footballer.
He said: “Detectives were given extra time to speak to a man in his 20s who was arrested on suspicion of raping and assaulting a woman.
Most read in The Irish Sun
“The suspect was taken into custody on Sunday afternoon after we learned of online photos and videos posted on social media by a woman reporting incidents of physical abuse.
“According to the investigations to date, he has been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and death threats.
“The inquiries are ongoing and the victim continues to receive expert assistance.
“We remind everyone to avoid any comments or sharing of images that could compromise a victim’s right to lifelong anonymity or risk jeopardizing a direct investigation with the proceedings.” active prosecution.”
Security staff – believed to be provided by his club – were at a second home he owns nearby and they confirmed his parents were inside.
Greenwood was left out of Manchester United’s squad on FIFA 22 yesterday following claims made against him.
He was also dropped from the Man Utd team roster in the game, after the club removed any merchandise with his name on it from their website.
The club’s official partner, Cadbury, said Greenwood would not appear on any of their marketing products.
Sponsor TeamViewer also announced that they are “closely monitoring developments”.
Sportswear giant Nike, specializing in providing striker shoes, has suspend their sponsorship with the star.
“We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood,” the brand said in a statement.
“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
Greenwood has worn Nike shoes since joining United’s first team in 2019.
He was suspended indefinitely by his club following his arrest.
Some of his teammates also unfollowed the star on social media after these images came to light.
The images and allegations allegedly appeared on a woman’s Instagram on Sunday morning, but were later deleted.
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/8301196/man-utd-mason-greenwood-fresh-statement-allegations-arrest/ Man Utd insist Mason Greenwood won’t play again until further notice as they issue new statement following fresh arrest