Man’s giant tormenting blisters the size of golf balls from Britain’s most dangerous plant

WARNING, GRAPHIC IMAGES: Nick Sherratt, from Cornwall, said the giant hogweed caused him so much pain that “if anyone had come up with a hacksaw, I wanted to say please take it off”.

Nick Sherratt
Nick Sherratt, pictured, was in excruciating pain after coming into contact with giant hogweed

A welder was left with giant blisters the size of golf balls and unable to walk after coming into contact with “Britain’s most dangerous plant”.

Nick Sherratt, 53, said the giant hogweed he touched caused him so much pain that “if someone had come up with a hacksaw, I wanted to say please take it off”.

Nick said he accidentally touched the plant when he slipped off a footpath leading down to the sand at Porthjoke Beach in Cornwall.

But he didn’t feel anything then.

However, the next morning Nick woke up and began to vomit and had a high fever and tremors.







Nick woke up vomiting and shaking – then this horrible rash started to develop
(

Picture:

Credit: Pen News/Joanne Sherratt)







The huge blister on Nick’s leg that had grown to the size of a golf ball
(

Picture:

Credit: Pen News/Joanne Sherratt)

His symptoms worsened before his leg blistered and bloated horribly before the pain became unbearable.

Nick said: “It was a Saturday afternoon when it happened; Saturday night we picked my son up from his place of work and we came back, had something to eat – no problem, nothing at all.

“But then on Sunday it was a completely different story.

“First thing in the morning I started throwing up violently, I got a fever, horrible tremors, I didn’t get warm, I was wrapped up in bed — it was just non-stop.”







Nick’s rash on his leg after a hogweed brush
(

Picture:

Credit: Pen News/Joanne Sherratt)






(

Picture:

facebook.com/joanne.sherratt.7)

Soon, Nick’s rash began to develop – a huge red patch with a black spot in the center where Bear Claw had touched it.

He said: “After that I had absolutely unbearable pain in my calf muscle; my skin literally felt like it was on fire.

“If someone had come with a hacksaw, I would have liked to say, please take it off. It was so, so painful.

“In one of the photos the bubble is the size of a golf ball – it was absolutely horrifying; very, very painful.”







Nick’s rash on his leg after a hogweed brush
(

Picture:

Credit: Pen News/Joanne Sherratt)

The agony became so intense that walking – even standing – soon became a challenge.

He added: “I was basically housebound. The best I could do was go to the toilet or bathroom, I spent a lot of time in bed, a lot of time sleeping.

“I can’t stand long now either. Walking is a little easier for me.”

Even now, two weeks later, Nick is pretty much housebound and can only really go to the toilet or bathroom. He has been absent from work for more than two weeks and said he slept most of the time.






(

Picture:

facebook.com/joanne.sherratt.7)






(

Picture:

facebook.com/joanne.sherratt.7)

Luckily, walking is getting easier for him, but he can’t stand up very long at the moment.

The dangerous part of hogweed is its juice. It prevents skin from protecting itself from the sun’s rays, meaning anyone exposed to sunlight after coming in contact with the sap is likely to suffer horrible burns.

It’s particularly cruel because the victim is initially unaware, meaning many people continue to expose their skin to natural light without realizing it’s burning them.

Also, the plant only needs to touch you for a few seconds to do the damage. Nick thinks he probably only brushed it briefly, 30 seconds at most.






(

Picture:

facebook.com/joanne.sherratt.7)






(

Picture:

facebook.com/joanne.sherratt.7)

It was Nick’s doctor who identified Bear Claw as the culprit and prescribed antibiotics and painkillers to his patient while he set out on the road to recovery.

The anxiety can last for months or even years, and long-term sun sensitivity is possible.

After his ordeal, Nick urges other Britons to be aware of the plant, especially if you are near a water source such as a river or stream, as that is where hogweed congregates.

The plant, according to Nick, “looks very innocent” and has white flowers at the top. But, he says, it’s certainly not as pretty as it looks.







The dangerous part of the pictured Bear Claw is its juice
(

Picture:

(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

But the scars left by the malicious plant can last for months or even years, and long-term sensitivity to sunlight is possible.

Nick Mr Sherratt, from Cubert, Cornwall, was told he would just have to wait and see how things go.

Meanwhile, he speaks up to warn others about enjoying the Great British outdoors.
“Be so aware of this thing,” he said.

“Especially when you’re near a source of water – that’s where the Giant Bear Claw seems to congregate more: rivers, streams, things like that.

“It all looks very innocent with a pretty white flower on top, but it’s not – trust me.

“You just have to take care of her. I was never aware of it, it just happened. “Unfortunately, I found out the hard way.”

Giant Hogweed is native to the Caucasus but was introduced to Britain as an ornamental in 1817 and its spread is now out of control.

Mike Duddy of the Mersey Basin Rivers Trust said in 2015 that giant hogweed is “without a doubt the most dangerous plant in Britain”.

If you are exposed to the plant, you should wash the contact area thoroughly and keep it out of sunlight for a few days, advises the Woodland Trust.

The National Trust, which maintains the Porthjoke beach car park, believes even a normal hogweed could be to blame.

“The sap of this species can also cause burns if it gets on the skin,” the statement said.

“We have since had the path in question cut back by contractors who reported seeing Hogweed but not Giant Hogweed.

“Our ranger teams will continue to survey the area for signs of giant hogweed.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mans-giant-agonising-blisters-size-27243723 Man's giant tormenting blisters the size of golf balls from Britain's most dangerous plant

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button