Martin Lewis’ MoneySavingExpert shares tips for Brits wrongly being prosecuted for energy bills

Some households are receiving worrying letters telling them they owe money on unpaid utility bills that are unrelated to them, but MoneySavingExpert said there are several tools that can help

martin lewis
The website set up by Martin Lewis listed options for people who were being hunted for bills they didn’t owe

martin lewis ‘ MoneySavingExpert has tips for households being asked to pay British Gas or Eon electricity bills they don’t owe.

Energy bills have already skyrocketed for millions of homes across the UK after Ofgem raised the price cap to just under £2,000 for April.

This price cap caps how much the average home with an adjustable rate pays for energy each year and is expected to increase £2,800 in October .

Amid the struggle of rising bills , savings expert said many households have received letters by mistake from debt collectors working for companies such as British Gas and Eon.

The money saving website advised Brits not to ignore these letters as it appears that you have outstanding debts, it could still affect your credit score.

If you really don’t owe the money, contact the collection agency or collection agency first to explain.

MoneySavingExpert said: “You may need to provide evidence, e.g. B. Letters confirming when you lived in the property, whether you had an account with the energy company, proof from your energy company that you have no debt, or documents showing you were a customer of another company at the time in question .”

This probably means your case is closed.

If you’re still being chased for payment, you have several options.

1) Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

If the firm is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

The FOS can direct the Debt Agency to take action, but only if you have not received a response within eight weeks of being contacted, or if you are unhappy with that response.

2) Legal Ombudsman

You can complain to the Legal Ombudsman if the collection agency is regulated by a professional body.

It can sort things out for you and order the company to pay up to £50,000 in compensation.

3) Credit Services Association

You can complain this body if the company harassing you is registered with them.

She then decides if there has been a violation of her code of conduct and what to do about it.

4) Attorneys’ Regulatory Authority

this body step in when the debt company chasing you is a law firm it regulates – not all are.

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office or Trading Standards.

Continue reading

Continue reading Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert shares tips for Brits wrongly being prosecuted for energy bills

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button