Maurice Fitzgerald, 29, “targeted a vulnerable woman” who had her bound and tape-gagged, the court hears

A 29-year-old man has been remanded in custody after being charged over the weekend in an assault on a woman in Dublin, which allegedly involved her being bound and taped gagged before being beaten unconscious.

Aurice Fitzgerald, from Abbeyview in Buttevant, Cork, appeared before a special session of Dublin District Court this evening where he was charged with four offenses in connection with the incident near the city center on Saturday.

The accused is accused of wrongfully detaining and assaulting the woman who harmed her at Meeting House Lane, Dublin 7, on August 27.

He is also charged with possessing two items relating to a claw hammer and duct tape at the same location and on the same day.

Mr Fitzgerald initially requested bail but later withdrew it during the course of the Gardaí by setting out his objections.

The court had previously heard evidence that the woman had her hands and feet bound with tape, placed it over her mouth to gag her and was beaten unconscious.

In his appeal for bail, Bridewell Garda Station’s Gda Pat Hynes said it was alleged the accused had “targeted a vulnerable woman” and “chosen a secluded alleyway” in which he attacked her, “causing her to be knocked unconscious”. .

Gda Hynes said Mr Fitzgerald traveled from Cork to Dublin on the day of the incident and wrote to four women who wanted to meet.

The accused, the court heard, also bought a new claw hammer and three rolls of duct tape upon arrival in the capital.

It was proved that he was also in possession of two condoms, a passport, a bank card and spare clothes and had not booked accommodation.

Gda Hynes went on to say that a witness reported seeing a man dragging a woman up an alley and off the premises before hearing the sound of tape.

A second witness heard a woman yell “get away from me” and “leave me alone” before hearing a man yell “shut up”.

Gda Hynes said that when Gardaí arrived at the scene, they observed Maurice Fitzgerald “dragging” the bound woman under a parked car “to hide her”.

He added the defendant tried to escape and was “extremely violent and aggressive during the arrest”.

Gda Hynes went on to say that the female victim had to be freed of the tape and told Gardaí that he “chopped off her head”.

The court also heard her tell Gardaí, “He didn’t rape me, but it was torture.”

Prosecutors also said there was CCTV footage of the alleged incident.

This, he said, showed the victim being tied by her ankles, being dragged into an area behind a parked car and being dragged under the vehicle when the area was illuminated by the lights of an unmarked squad car arriving at the scene.

Gda Hynes said CCTV had both video and audio recordings and he intended to play them in court as part of his bail appeal.

At this point, however, Mr. Fitzgerald’s defense attorney intervened, telling the court that her client would not seek bail.

An application for free legal aid was granted by Judge John O’Neill and the defendant, who failed to testify during the court hearing, was remanded in custody to appear via video link at Cloverhill Court on Friday 2 September to appear. Maurice Fitzgerald, 29, “targeted a vulnerable woman” who had her bound and tape-gagged, the court hears

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button