Kym Kirkham, 32, from Manchester, only realized her egg was gray after several bites, but McDonald’s claims there is a chemical explanation for the discoloration
(Image: Kym Kirkham)
A McDonald’s restaurant claims she almost felt nauseous after biting into her McMuffin and realizing the egg was “grey” and thinking it was moldy.
Kym Kirkham, 32, from Manchester, had a McDonald’s breakfast on Wednesday April 27th.
But after taking her first bite of the Sausage and Egg McMuffin, the horrified teacher noticed the egg was “gray.”
McDonald’s has denied that the egg was moldy, claiming it was a chemical reaction instead.
She said: “I only realized it after taking a few bites. I almost got sick.
“I can’t remember the taste, I was too freaked out. I thought it was moldy.”
After Kym returned the food to the staff at the Festival Park branch in Stoke on Trent, Kym claimed the staff threw out the McMuffin and offered her a new one.
But she said: “I couldn’t eat it though because I was so sick afterwards.”
Since the incident, Kym has claimed she was unable to report it to customer service.
But McDonald’s has claimed there’s no way their eggs could go moldy, adding that the gray egg is caused by a natural chemical reaction.
A spokesman for the restaurant chain said: “At McDonald’s, all of the eggs we use on our breakfast menu are freshly cracked, cooked and served in a short time, which means we simply cannot serve moldy eggs.
“The discoloration when eggs are boiled is caused by a natural reaction between the hydrogen sulfide in the egg white and the iron in the yolk.
“As soon as the customer informed the restaurant that she was not happy with the product, our team replaced it with another freshly made McMuffin.
“We are sorry that the customer was not satisfied and we encourage her to contact our customer service team.”
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mcdonalds-diner-claims-nearly-sick-26848490 McDonald's Diner claims she was almost nauseous after eating a "moldy" gray egg at McMuffin