The Duke and Duchess of Sussex insist they have always intended to continue performing their public duties after leaving the royal family, and said a “misrepresentation” has been created to “trap” them. into silence.
A spokesman said Harry and Meghan had never cited privacy as a reason for withdrawing as senior members of the royal family more than two years ago.
A statement from their global press secretary accused the tabloids of creating “a completely untrue story” about privacy and said the royal couple “are choosing to share the story”. their own, on their terms”.
The statement came after the first three episodes of the Netflix series starring the couple aired.
In it, Harry accuses the royal family of having “a great deal of unconscious bias” when it comes to race, while Meghan alleges that the media wants to “destroy” her.
On Friday, a statement from the couple’s global press secretary said: “The Duke and Duchess have never cited privacy as a reason to back down. This distorted story is intended to silence the couple.
“In fact, their statement announcing their decision to withdraw made no mention of privacy and reiterated their desire to continue their public role and obligations. Any other suggestions that speak to a major point of this series.
“They are choosing to share their story, on their terms, but the tabloid media has created a completely false story that floods the press and public opinion. The truth is right in front of them.”
The pair have received much criticism over the six-part series – the final three will air on Thursday – for clearly attacking British institutions when they discussed their experiences, including racial segregation.
On 8 January 2020, the Sussex family revealed that they plan to “retire as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work towards becoming financially independent”.
They said they chose to “make a transition this year to begin creating a progressive new role within this organization”.
They officially left the monarchy on March 31, 2020, after opting for personal and financial freedom instead of continuing to be working members of the royal family.
Video of the day
Harry and Meghan have signed lucrative deals, believed to be worth more than £100 million, with Netflix and Spotify following their layoffs, with docuseries this week being their first major hit on the giant streaming giant.
Conservative MP Bob Seely questioned why Harry continued to use his duke title, while “at the same time disregarding the monarchy and his family”.
The Isle of Wight MP said he plans to introduce proposed legislation that could eventually strip the couple of their royal titles, but a Number 10 spokesman said “we do not support” the proposal. this output.
Downing Street also rejected calls to “boycott” Netflix over the documentary by a government minister.
During the series, Harry said members of his family questioned why Meghan needed more media protection than their wives, but he said they failed to grasp the “element of the element.” race”.
The pair also took aim at the British press, in which Meghan claimed “obscene stories” had been “spread” before their wedding, and the couple said they were “playing pranks” when the articles hit appear.
Harry said he feels a responsibility to uncover “exploitation and bribery” in the media who “know the whole truth”, and he spoke of the “harassment” his mother Diana , the Princess of Wales – suffered and the fear that Meghan would also be “shooed away by the media”.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/media-claims-over-harry-and-meghan-privacy-have-distorted-narrative-42209182.html Media claims about Harry and Meghan’s privacy ‘distorted the story’