Gemma Gray, 38, from Maghull, has told how she woke up to find her daughter Kyia Fenwick had turned yellow in the face from an unknown condition and was taken to hospital
Image: Gemma Gray)
A mother has shared her concern when she found her four-year-old daughter was turning yellow after suffering a mysterious condition of acute liver failure.
Gemma Gray, 38, from Maghull, said she took her daughter Kyia Fenwick to the hospital after waking up in the morning to find her eyes and face had turned yellow, the reported Liverpool echo.
The boy was taken to Ormskirk Hospital but when her condition continued to deteriorate she was transferred to Leeds Liver Unit.
And Gemma believes a recent outbreak of salmonella from children’s eggs could be behind the mysterious condition, which is now responding to treatment.
Kinder’s Surprise Eggs were recalled by the company earlier this month for a “potential link to a salmonella outbreak,” and some of the cases involved young children.
Gemma told that ECHO : “I always buy her children’s eggs after school – she makes a living from them, they are her favorite pastime. Kyia had no history of illness, but she started throwing up about six or seven weeks ago. Gemma called a doctor who said she was probably suffering from a bug.
“She just threw up. She woke up screaming in the early hours of the morning and just threw up all over the place.”
While the vomiting continued, Gemma also saw signs of the onset of jaundice.
She said: “She was sick every few days and then during the night I noticed her eyes turning yellow. When I woke up the next day, her eyes were yellow and her face was yellow.”
Kyia was admitted Ormskirk Hospital on March 31, where it was found that her liver function had begun to deteriorate and her blood was clotting excessively. She received a variety of medications and was diagnosed with seronegative acute liver failure.
Gemma continued: “We were in Ormskirk for about two weeks and they couldn’t figure out why her blood kept rising and why her liver was failing. We were waiting for a place with the Leeds Liver Unit.
“We went there and they managed to lower her blood (clotting) with all sorts of drugs. She was on everything – she had blood drawn every day.
“By the end, their blood started to drop, but they eventually considered a liver transplant.”
Kyia’s condition is now more stable and she was able to return home earlier this week, but Gemma said she still hasn’t returned to her normal self.
“She came out of the hospital a few days ago. She’s back home now, but she’s on all sorts of medication. She is still undergoing blood work and is awaiting a biopsy for her liver in Leeds,” she said.
Gemma added: “She is still unwell, had to go today and have her blood tested – she is tested twice a week and seven oral tests every day. She gets tired easily – she’s still not 100%, her eyes are still yellow. The yellowing of her face is going away, but her eyes are still yellow.”
Fears salmonella could be behind the disease, Gemma says: “The children’s eggs are all I can think of. All these kids are getting sick and the company has recalled them. I put it down to that. She was healthy girl – she wasn’t born with this disease so it must be something she ate or drank.”
But none of the hospitals tested Kyia for salmonella.
On April 25, Ferrero, which owns Kinder, said on its website: “We continue to work with the UK Food Standards Agency, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland and Food Standards Scotland in relation to the ongoing Salmonella investigations into Kinder products manufactured in Arlon, Belgium.
“We have recalled the entire production of Kinder Surprise 20g, Kinder Surprise 20gx 3 Multipack, Kinder Mini Eggs 75g, Kinder Egg Hunt Kit 150g, Kinder Surprise 100g and Kinder Chocobons (all pack sizes) manufactured in Arlon, Belgium . No other children’s products are affected by this recall.
“If you have any of these listed products, do not consume them. Please keep the product and contact our consumer care team at Consumers.firstname.lastname@example.org or Consumers.email@example.com. We deeply regret this matter and sincerely apologize to all our consumers.
“Food safety, quality and consumer protection have been at the heart of our business since the company was founded. This serious event goes to the heart of what we stand for and we will take whatever steps are necessary to earn the full trust of our true consumers.”
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-says-girl-4-hospital-26828062 Mom says girl, 4, in hospital with mysterious liver problems after eating children's eggs