News

Mom trapped in apartment causing moldy toddler son to be hospitalized 7 times

Chaileigh Clancy, 21, just moved into the Mitcham, south London, estate last January. She says there were no problems initially, but in October she discovered thick, black mold on the inside of her cabinets.

Chaileigh Clancey and her son Billy have been living with damp and mold for months
Chaileigh Clancey and her son Billy have been living with damp and mold for months

A young mother has spoken of her “traumatic” experience in a moldy apartment which has resulted in her son being hospitalized with asthma attacks on seven occasions.

Chaileigh Clancy, 21, just moved into the Mitcham, south London, estate last January.

she said MyLondon that there were no problems at first, in October she discovered thick, black mold on the inside of her cabinets.

This month, their 18-month-old son Billy was taken to hospital in an ambulance for the first time after suffering an asthma attack.

He was hospitalized for the seventh time after suffering another asthma attack on Sunday, Chaileigh told the Local Democracy Reporting Service this week.







Black mold in Chaileigh’s apartment
(

Picture:

copyright unknown)







Chaileigh and her son Billy, who was hospitalized after repeated asthma attacks
(

Picture:

copyright unknown)

“He never had these problems before, now he has an inhaler,” she said while still at Epsom Hospital.

“When I found out about the mold situation, I got in touch [housing association Moat]I explained that my son was in the hospital, but it wasn’t until January that they came and installed a dehumidifier.”

Chaileigh said this was removed five weeks later, but the mold persisted and little Billy has been hospitalized on and off ever since. The mold was caused by a leak in an upstairs apartment that housing association Moat repaired in January.

She said: “Not being heard has taken a toll on my mental health and it was upsetting to see my son in and out of the hospital with all this medication pumped into him.”

“It’s traumatic, I have nightmares that my son is going to die. We have to hold him when we put a nebulizer on him so he doesn’t move, it can be quite traumatic for him.”

And because he gets so ill, Chaileigh said she was told not to bring Billy to playgroups with other children to avoid putting him at risk of contracting illness.

Chaileigh’s story appeared in Sun Online last week and she said Moat has since been in touch and has started repairing the flat.

Moat said it performed a gentle mildew wash on April 8. Chaileigh was moved to a hotel on Tuesday for the closets to be dry washed and repainted on Wednesday.

But the mother said she was “petrified” to return with her son as planned on Thursday (April 14) amid fears the mold will return.

She added: “I’ve lived with white horse since I was a kid with my mum, I know it’s coming back. It’s outrageous how they can make people live in these conditions. You would not be allowed to abandon an animal in these conditions.”

A spokesman for Moat said: “We are very sorry to hear of the ill health of Ms Clancy’s son and have been in regular contact with her. The leak that was the cause of the problem was fixed in January. A follow-up inspection scheduled for April 4 found that the two affected cabinets had dried out sufficiently to allow final repairs, but that some mold remained.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-trapped-flat-mouldy-toddler-26722183 Mom trapped in apartment causing moldy toddler son to be hospitalized 7 times

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button