Kate Lally, who was ‘attacked’ by a group of jellyfish last summer and suffered painful stings, is warning beachgoers after almost stepping on one this week
Image: Liverpool Echo)
A mum who was badly stung by jellyfish last year has warned those enjoying their summer on the British coast to be careful after suffering a terse phone call recently.
Kate Lally almost stepped on a jellyfish while walking on Formby Beach in Merseyside yesterday (Thursday), she writes Liverpool echowhere she works as a reporter.
Last summer, the mum wrote about being attacked by a group of jellyfish swimming in the sea and shared photos of the painful stings.
Kate described her previous experience as an “attack” as jellyfish swarmed over her as soon as she entered the water.
First her right arm was stabbed, then both thighs, all within minutes. The mother-of-one followed NHS advice and the stitches disappeared days after the painful ordeal.
Andrew Teebay/Liverpool Echo)
Kate said the sting initially felt like a “wasp sting over a larger area of skin. Then it started to burn.”
She said that after washing the skin with warm water, as recommended by the NHS, there was “no sign of my stitches, nor could I feel anything”.
“But after one night’s sleep I woke up with horrible, hot, itchy spots on my arm and both thighs. When I stand outside in the hot weather today, they pulsate.”
The NHS guidelines specifically state: “Don’t use vinegar and don’t pee on the sting”. Ice packs should also be avoided, and you should not touch spikes in the sting with your bare hands or cover or close the wound.
Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)
Speaking of her recent run-in with the creatures, Kate said: “Having been stung so badly last summer I’m always careful now when I go but this one was almost at the bottom of the dune when you first set foot on the beach, not in near the I didn’t think I’d have to look for them that far from the water, and I almost stood on them.
“Last time I was in agony and I dread what would happen if a little human stood on a jellyfish.”
A spokesman for the National Trust told ECHO last summer: “Jellyfish can often be seen in the sea around Britain during the summer months.
“In Formby, you might discover species like the harmless barrel jellyfish or the compass jellyfish, which can inflict a painful sting on you.”
If you get stung by jellyfish, the NHS recommends the following:
- Flush the affected area with sea water (not fresh water)
- Using tweezers or the edge of a bank card, remove any spines from the skin
- Soak the area in very warm water (as hot as you can bear) for at least 30 minutes – use hot washcloths or towels if you can’t soak
- Take pain relievers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
You may also need medical assistance. Contact NHS 111 with any concerns.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-swarmed-jellyfish-soon-entered-27263094 Mom, who was swarmed by jellyfish as soon as she entered the water, is covered in painful stings