News

Mom’s stark warning as 4-year-old son develops a rash on his face after touching a caterpillar

Caroline Gel, 43, from Steventon, Oxfordshire, said her son Oliver, 4, learned about the hungry caterpillar at school when he picked up the insect while playing outside

A young boy developed a severe rash all over his face and body from an unexpected culprit - the common caterpillar
Oliver developed a severe rash all over his face

A mother has issued a sharp warning to other parents after her four-year-old son experienced “painful stinging” all over his face and mouth just 30 minutes after picking up a caterpillar.

Caroline Gel, 43, said her son Oliver learned about caterpillars at school when he found one in a tree and decided to pick it up while playing outside last week.

Within minutes the boy, from Steventon, Oxfordshire, was complaining of a stinging sensation on his face and was waking up the next day with hives.

The mother-of-three searched online for advice and discovered Oliver had ingested a brown-tailed moth caterpillar, a species with spiny hairs thought to irritate the skin, as a defense mechanism. Plymouth Live reports.

Caroline said: “Oliver learned about caterpillars at school when his class read the whole story of the hungry caterpillar.







Oliver woke up with a nasty rash on his face and neck
(

Picture:

Caroline Gel / SWNS)

“So last week he went outside to play and picked a caterpillar off a tree. He even built a small house for it.

“Then, about half an hour later, he complained of a burning sensation in his face and mouth. My husband had recently cut the grass so I thought it might be a grass allergy or something.”

The mum, who works at Oxford University, tried ice cream on Oliver’s face but was worried when he woke up covered in a rash the next day.

She said: “It was so bad, especially around his face and mouth, but it was also all over his front and back,” Caroline said.







Caroline identified the beetle as a caterpillar of a brown tailed moth
(

Picture:

Caroline Gel / SWNS)

“We took him to the doctors. They said they weren’t sure of the cause but suggested it might have been hives and gave him antihistamines to help with the inflammation.”

Since the incident, Oliver has been able to treat his rash with chamomile lotion and antihistamines

“Oliver is always outside and very curious. Normally I would never stop him from touching things – but these insects aren’t very nice, so I want to spread the word and make sure other people don’t touch these caterpillars, especially children. “

“Oliver was very enthusiastic about caterpillars, but not anymore. He is now addressing people very loudly and telling them not to touch them.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mums-stark-warning-son-4-27033988 Mom's stark warning as 4-year-old son develops a rash on his face after touching a caterpillar

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button