MTK Global announced yesterday that it will cease operations from the end of this month after receiving “unfair criticism” following the sanctioning of Daniel Kinahan.
Inahan, who founded the boxing management company, was named leader of the Kinahan crime gang last week and faced global financial sanctions by the United States government.
The US has offered a $5 million reward for information about the group that led to the arrest and sentencing of its leaders.
Kinahan, who has always denied any wrongdoing, is said to be one of the leaders of a cartel that US authorities have accused of drug smuggling, money laundering and violence against “the most vulnerable in society”.
In a statement yesterday, MTK Global said it would cease operations, despite claiming that Kinahan’s involvement in the company ended in 2017.
“As a company, we have faced an unprecedented level of unfair scrutiny and criticism since the US government sanctioned Daniel Joseph Kinahan,” the statement said.
“It is public knowledge that Mr. Kinahan’s involvement in MTK ceased in 2017 and despite repeated assurances to that effect, unfounded allegations remain about his continued association with us and our fighters.
“As leading promoters have now informed us that they are cutting all ties with MTK and will no longer be working with our fighters, we have made the difficult decision to cease operations at the end of this month.
“MTK has thrived because we have always put the long-term interests of our fighters at the center of everything we do. Our priority over the coming weeks will be to ensure our world class boxers are supported in finding new partnerships as quickly as possible. MTK gyms are independently operated and as such will remain open for the foreseeable future.”
Tyson Fury, who has been advised by Kinahan in the past, said the latest sanctions had “nothing to do with me right now” and that he had “absolutely zero” dealings with the alleged crime boss.
A virtual press conference was held a day after US sanctions were imposed on Dubai’s Kinahan to preview the fight at Wembley, but with a moderator choosing the journalists allowed to ask questions, Fury was not questioned on this subject.
He did, however, address the elephant in the room after Tuesday’s open practice session at BOXPARK Wembley.
When asked if he had anything to do with Kinahan, Fury said: “Zero, absolutely zero.
“It’s none of my business. I keep my own business to myself, that’s it.
“Was it a distraction? Not really, it has nothing to do with me, does it?
“When I say ‘There is a war in Ukraine’ and people ask me about it, it has nothing to do with me. I keep my business to myself. I have my own issues with six kids and a wife to take care of.
“I have a lot more to think about than other people’s affairs. There’s a man in my life who wants to punch me in the face next week and I have to deal with that. Everything else is beyond my control.”
Fury also said: “I don’t really take notice of the media. I know what the media can do and I was the victim of a witch hunt in 2015 and 2016.”
Fury, who is co-promoted by Top Rank, was pictured with Kinahan in Dubai in February but downplayed the image.
“A picture doesn’t mean I’m a criminal,” Fury said. “I can’t control who’s in the building. “There could be a criminal in this building right now. That doesn’t mean I’m involved in his criminal activities, does it?”
https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/mtk-global-to-cease-activities-after-unfair-criticism-since-daniel-kinahan-sanctions-41572266.html MTK Global halts activities after “unfair criticism” since sanctions by Daniel Kinahan