“My claim for PIP benefit was recently denied – how do I appeal?”

My entitlement to my PIP benefit was recently denied by the Department for Works and Pensions and I don’t know what to do next. How can I get help? Consumer expert Martyn James explains

This payment is an important lifeline for many people who cannot work
This payment is an important lifeline for many people who cannot work

“My claim for my PIP benefit was recently denied and I don’t know what to do next. How do I get help?’

That’s the question I hope to address this week as the latest numbers show it’s now 22 weeks so that a claim can be verified.

A Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a vital resource for people in long term mental or physical condition and was created to help with the additional living expenses.

To qualify, you must be diagnosed with a specific disease and, because of these circumstances, have difficulty in carrying out certain everyday tasks.

This payment is an essential lifeline for anyone living in these circumstances and is something close to my heart as a close relative of mine falls into this category and I know from them and people in similar situations how frustrating that is process can sometimes be .

Many people have reported problems making a claim, saying the process is complex, bureaucratic and unsympathetic, and also emphasizing how difficult it can be to make one’s voice heard.

Unfortunately, with only one organization – the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) – processing the payment, this isn’t a situation where you can vote with your feet and go elsewhere – but I’ll guide you through the rest of the process.

You can get PIP even if you work, have savings, or receive most other benefits.

People say they have been denied the support they thought they were entitled to


(Getty Images/EyeEm)

How does it work?

First, there are two “qualifying” parts to PIP claims:

  • Daily life determining if you need help with everyday tasks
  • Mobility that evaluates how you move around

It’s possible to get one or both parts of the benefit, but – and this is frustrating for many – what you get depends on how you “perform” on the evaluation. There is also care allowance for anyone in your life acting in that capacity.

It’s good to understand the process before you apply so you know what you’re being evaluated for. A full list of criteria can be found on the Gov.uk website here.

Although money is paid based on the assessment of the two main criteria, there are upper and lower limits. find out more here.

What went wrong?

With so much going on getting the PIP payments – and a jump from the lowest to the highest amounts – many people have turned to us for help with PIP payments. Complaints cover many areas but include:

  • Claims are rejected
  • Staff issues (unhelpful, unsympathetic)
  • The assessment is not conducted or scored correctly
  • The assessment is not conducted at home
  • Incorrect assumptions about the nature and extent of the disability or condition
  • Delays in payments and other administrative errors

How to make a complaint

First, contact the DWP either by writing to the address on your application decision letter or by calling them. You can ask a (free) third party for help – like a friend, family member or an organization like Citizens Advice.

The DWP will ask you for full contact details and your social security number. Make sure you fully explain what you are unhappy with – including medical assessments of your condition, if any. Also make it clear what you want to regulate.

At Resolver we are currently speaking to organizations like the DWP about how we can help simplify this whole process, but for now it makes sense to reach out to them directly. You can still use Resolver for free for all other lines of business to file complaints.

The DWP will then contact you to discuss the complaint. If you are not satisfied, go to the next level – the Complaint Resolution Manager.

They should contact you and contact you again within 15 days to let you know the result or if they need more time. If you are not satisfied, a senior DWP manager will also deal with the case.

If no solution is forthcoming, you can contact the independent case examiner – a kind of ombudsman for the DWP. You can find out how they work here. As and Ombudsman you must contact them within 6 months from the date of their letter with the “final decision”. It’s a free service.

Finally, if all else fails, you can contact the Parliament and Health Service Ombudsman (usually through an MP referral). Find out more about the Ombudsman here.

Ultimately, this very lengthy process could use some streamlining and greater accessibility.

I understand how difficult this can be for people who are appealing a decision or making a complaint – so speak to other people in your situation for help and support and use the local services in your area for people with similar conditions. It’s easier to fight back when you have support.

Martyn James represents the Free Complaints website www.resolver.co.uk.

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/ive-recently-pip-benefit-claim-26500630 "My claim for PIP benefit was recently denied - how do I appeal?"

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button