A TODDLER could lose his fingertips and toes after waking up with a rash, his mom has warned.
Teddie Walne, 17 months, is expected to lose five of them as a result of blood poisoning caused by meningitis.
He was also in intensive care, put into a coma and given paralysis drugs while in a freezer jacket to bring his temperature down.
And doctors told mum Zoe, 37, they didn’t have time to wait for the pain relief to start before drilling into his shin bone when he was taken to hospital with the rash.
It started when he woke up with a red spot on his head, which spread to his stomach a few hours later on Easter Sunday.
Zoe called 111 and was told to keep an eye on it while she waited for a call back within two hours.
She drove to her mother’s but by the time she got there the spots had turned purple like bruises and she decided to call back.
The paramedics told them he suspected meningitis. Doctors said she saved his life by not waiting.
Zoe, a stay-at-home mum of four from Burnley, Lancashire, had been a “normally energetic and mischievous” toddler before the stain.
She told the Mirror: “It went downhill quickly from there. When we got to the hospital, the doctor said it was a textbook meningitis rash.”
Most read in The Irish Sun
They rushed around him and she was told to call her partner Duncan Stewart, 39, a self-employed gardener.
She added: “I was starting to get scared. They said it was going to be really uncomfortable because they didn’t have time to wait for the pain relief and they would have to drill his shins.
“He started bleeding from his mouth and nose, it was just terrifying.”
Teddie showed signs of breathing on his own after seven days and was getting stronger on medication.
Doctors are now testing for any impaired brain functions as his body was starved of oxygen and blood.
And plastic surgeons will try to heal huge blisters that developed where his rash was.
Zoe said: “I don’t think I’ve ever prayed that much in my life.
“He was such a fighter through everything. I keep thanking my lucky stars that he’s here.
“The doctors said to me, ‘You have to realize that you saved his life because if you waited for the doctor to call you back, Teddie wouldn’t be here right now’.”
https://www.thesun.ie/health/8762908/parents-warning-son-rash-lose-fingers/ My warning to all parents as my son, 1, is losing his fingers and toes after waking up with a horror rash