Lifestyle

My warning to all parents as my son, 1, is losing his fingers and toes after waking up with a horror rash

A TODDLER could lose his fingertips and toes after waking up with a rash, his mom has warned.

Teddie Walne, 17 months, is expected to lose five of them as a result of blood poisoning caused by meningitis.

Teddie Walne is set to lose five fingertips and five toes after waking up with a rash

3

Teddie Walne is set to lose five fingertips and five toes after waking up with a rashPhoto credit: Mirrorpix
He was a normal and energetic 17-month-old, mother Zoe said

3

He was a normal and energetic 17-month-old, mother Zoe saidPhoto credit: Mirrorpix

He was also in intensive care, put into a coma and given paralysis drugs while in a freezer jacket to bring his temperature down.

And doctors told mum Zoe, 37, they didn’t have time to wait for the pain relief to start before drilling into his shin bone when he was taken to hospital with the rash.

It started when he woke up with a red spot on his head, which spread to his stomach a few hours later on Easter Sunday.

Zoe called 111 and was told to keep an eye on it while she waited for a call back within two hours.

She drove to her mother’s but by the time she got there the spots had turned purple like bruises and she decided to call back.

The paramedics told them he suspected meningitis. Doctors said she saved his life by not waiting.

Zoe, a stay-at-home mum of four from Burnley, Lancashire, had been a “normally energetic and mischievous” toddler before the stain.

She told the Mirror: “It went downhill quickly from there. When we got to the hospital, the doctor said it was a textbook meningitis rash.”

Most read in The Irish Sun

They rushed around him and she was told to call her partner Duncan Stewart, 39, a self-employed gardener.

She added: “I was starting to get scared. They said it was going to be really uncomfortable because they didn’t have time to wait for the pain relief and they would have to drill his shins.

“He started bleeding from his mouth and nose, it was just terrifying.”

Teddie showed signs of breathing on his own after seven days and was getting stronger on medication.

Doctors are now testing for any impaired brain functions as his body was starved of oxygen and blood.

And plastic surgeons will try to heal huge blisters that developed where his rash was.

Zoe said: “I don’t think I’ve ever prayed that much in my life.

Minder and New Tricks star Dennis Waterman has died at his Spanish home, aged 74
Dramatic moment Russian helicopter blown up in Ukrainian drone attack

“He was such a fighter through everything. I keep thanking my lucky stars that he’s here.

“The doctors said to me, ‘You have to realize that you saved his life because if you waited for the doctor to call you back, Teddie wouldn’t be here right now’.”

Teddie's mother saved his life with her quick reaction, doctors told her

3

Teddie’s mother saved his life with her quick reaction, doctors told herPhoto credit: Mirrorpix

https://www.thesun.ie/health/8762908/parents-warning-son-rash-lose-fingers/ My warning to all parents as my son, 1, is losing his fingers and toes after waking up with a horror rash

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button