An inquiry has found the death of a homeless man on Dublin’s Liffey Boardwalk last year who was suspected of being the victim of an attack will not face a criminal prosecution.
The body of Tadas Sarkauskas, 33, a Lithuanian national, was found at Ormond Quay around 6.20am on 4 June 2021.
A session of the Dublin County Coroner’s Court heard evidence that Mr Sarkauskas’ body was identified by Gardaí using a fingerprint database maintained by their counterparts in Lithuania.
Gardaí had launched a public appeal for information on Mr Sarkauskas’ last known movements after his death, amid reports that he had been the victim of an attack the night before.
Footage of the alleged attack had surfaced on social media, showing a man being hit on the head before falling to the ground, where he lay motionless.
However, Detective Inspector John Walsh of Tallaght Garda Station said a file on the case had been forwarded to the DPP, which ordered that no prosecution should be instituted in connection with Mr Sarkauskas’ death.
At the preliminary hearing of the inquest, it was stated that the deceased died of a blood clot in the head and other injuries to his brain consistent with a fall.
When asked by a worker at a homeless charity who knew Mr Sarkauskas about reports he had been assaulted, Det Insp Walsh said someone was on trial for the assault but the alleged offenses were unrelated to his death.
Coroner Clare Keane adjourned the hearing until October 11, when full details of the case will be examined.
https://www.independent.ie/news/no-criminal-prosecution-from-death-of-homeless-man-on-the-liffey-boardwalk-suspected-of-having-been-the-victim-of-an-assault-41533627.html No prosecution over the death of a homeless man suspected of being an assault victim on the Liffey Boardwalk