One-year-old child dies after swallowing unknown ‘poisonous’ object, investigation ongoing

A one-year-old child in India died Thursday after swallowing an unidentified object believed to be poisonous.

The incident happened in the southern state of Kerala. The boy, identified only as Sarovar, showed signs of discomfort on Wednesday night, local media outlet Mathrubhumi reported.

His parents – Shinto and Lakshmi – did not know what happened to him and immediately took him to the hospital. Doctors there ran a scan that showed a button battery-like object in his stomach. Doctors then discharged the child, saying the object would exit the body through the stool.

But on Thursday morning, the child’s condition deteriorated. The parents then took him to the hospital again, where he was pronounced dead.

Although he was taken to hospital in time, doctors could not save his life, Malayalam News 18 reported [Google Translate showed].

Experts investigating the case said the child may have swallowed a poisonous object, adding the cause of death could only be confirmed after an autopsy.

The child’s funeral is scheduled for Friday. Police have registered a case related to the boy’s death and an investigation into the incident was ongoing.

Such incidents are reportedly increasing worldwide, including in the United States.

Researchers recently found that incidents of children presenting to emergency departments with battery-related injuries have increased significantly in the United States over the past decade.

A study published in August in the journal Pediatrics found that the number of battery-related emergency room visits for children under the age of 18 increased in the United States from 2010-2019 compared to 1990-2009. Overall, they found that the rate of such injuries was 9.5 per 100,000 children annually from 2010 to 2019. In comparison, the rate from 1990 to 2009 was lower at 4.6 per 100,000 per year.

Many of these injuries affect younger children, ages five and younger, the study found. “Many ingestion events go unnoticed, so early diagnosis is quite difficult,” said study co-author Dr. Kris Jatana of Nationwide Children’s Hospital, in the press release.

Related Articles

https://www.ibtimes.com.au/1-year-old-child-dies-after-swallowing-unidentified-poisonous-object-investigation-underway-1838448?utm_source=Public&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Distribution One-year-old child dies after swallowing unknown ‘poisonous’ object, investigation ongoing

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button