Our TUI dream holiday was ruined by daughter’s salmonella and I was bitten by bed bugs
A mother-of-two has been furious after she claimed her family’s dream vacation at a five-star hotel had infected her with salmonella and bed bugs.
Emma Tod spent £10,000 on the TUI short break at Khao Lak resort, Thailand, over Christmas but says she still hasn’t been reimbursed for the holiday from hell.
The 39-year-old claimed she was plagued by over 200 bed bug bites all over her body as her six-year-old daughter was struck with salmonella after eating poorly prepared meat on her trip.
Emma, from Warwickshire, East Midlands, was equally shocked when her seven-year-old son cut his foot on discarded glass at the edge of the swimming pool.
Thinking about it, she believed the entire hotel needed repairs, and her kids even played games with loose tiles on the pool floor.
In addition, the family was reportedly forced to wait hours for dinner at the hotel restaurant and had to serve their own drinks due to staff shortages at the all-inclusive resort.
Now almost four months into the holiday, Emma is still embroiled in a dispute with the travel company over a refund.
She says she is appalled by TUI’s complaints system and claims several members of her customer service team have hung up.
Sharing her complaint on Twitter last week, Emma wrote: “A six year old with salmonella, bed bugs, a cut foot and no staff.
“Hardly the experience you’d expect from a five star resort, topped off with a complaints procedure that also offers the worst customer experience I’ve ever encountered, well done.”
This week, Emma said: “The holiday was incredibly poorly managed, I’ve booked a lot of great holidays with them (TUI) but that was shocking.
“My complaint is still not resolved after almost four months.
“For me the bed bugs were the worst, but for my daughter the salmonella was so bad that my son cut his foot on the edge of the pool was his worst moment.
“We all had to serve our own drinks and work at the bars as there was no staff and no cafe in an all inclusive five star resort.
“Room service stopped two days into the holiday period and we occasionally had to wait two hours for dinner.”
Emma claims that Tui only acknowledged her complaint in February after being told her case would be referred to the legal department.
However, she says that after several attempts to contact the vacation company, she “hasn’t heard anything since.”
She said: “The number in the message from her chat just directs me to a complaint form or if I pretend to book a new holiday the staff always hang up when they hear I’m talking to someone about mine complaint.”
A Tui spokesman told The Sun: “We are sorry to hear about the family’s experience.
“We spoke to the customer about their concerns and explained their options.
“It would be inappropriate for us to comment further as full investigations are taking place.
“We want to reassure our customers that we regularly inspect all the hotels that we offer for health and safety, including food safety.”
https://www.thesun.ie/travel/8649694/dream-tui-holiday-ruined-salmonella-bed-bug-bites/ Our TUI dream holiday was ruined by daughter’s salmonella and I was bitten by bed bugs