Owner ‘Petrified’ After Puppy Face Bit by Venomous Snake, Unresponsive

Hollie Serginson, from Lingdale, thought her 16-week-old pup would die after a viper snake bit him in the face and cost her £1.8k in vet bills – now she is warning other dog owners

cute puppy
Rocco developed a swollen face after the bite

A dog owner warns walkers after her pup was bitten in the face by an adder while out for a walk.

Labrador cross Rocco quickly went limp and unresponsive at Birk Brow, just outside Guisborough on Saturday.

His owner Hollie Serginson from Lingdale feared she would lose him on the 45 minute drive to the nearest emergency vet.

The 16-week-old developed a swollen face but made it in time to be injected with antidote and pain relief.

Thankfully, the young pup is now back home and recovering – although he’s still lethargic after all the medication.

Hollie had a £1.8k vet bill for his treatment but is just grateful he’s on the mend.







The young puppy was unresponsive and limp
(

Picture:

GAZETTE MEDIA COMPANY SYNDICATION)

Sign up for our TeamDogs newsletter for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.

Hollie said: “It was a scary situation that I never wanted anyone else to be in.

“My dad was with him and saw the snake hiss next to Rocco and scoot into the bushes angrily, Rocco flinched when he was bitten but he didn’t cry or whimper.

“Rocco’s face immediately swelled up, went limp and quickly became unresponsive – Dad had to drive from the moors to the Stockton vets as they were the only one open after hours.

“During the 45-minute drive, my dad thought he was going to lose him because he was so bad.







Hollie was horrified when Rocco almost failed
(

Picture:

GAZETTE MEDIA COMPANY SYNDICATION)

“Rocco was bitten on the face and stayed at the vet overnight on IVs and an antidote injection alongside a cocktail of painkillers.

“It was petrifying and we want to raise awareness about it. Rocco must have been curious about the snake in the middle of the sidewalk.

“Please be careful if you take your little four-legged friends for a walk over the heath at this time of the year.”

The adder is the only venomous snake in the UK and normally winters from October to March.







Adders are the only venomous snake in the UK
(

Picture:

(Getty Images)

Found throughout the country, they are greyish in color with a distinct zig-zag pattern on their backs.

Adders tend to keep to themselves and will not bite unless frightened, but dogs tend to approach them without fear.

The PDSA says bites can make a dog very ill and cause serious problems, including liver, kidney and heart damage.

If venom is injected directly into the bloodstream, it can also cause death very quickly.







Adder bites can be fatal to dogs
(

Picture:

(Getty Images)

To prevent your dog from being bitten by a adder, it is recommended to avoid adder “hotspots”, keep your dog on a path and on a leash.

If your dog has been bitten, the PDSA’s First Aid Guide advises pet owners to stay calm, try to remember what the snake looks like, but don’t try to find it.

You should call your vet to let them know you’re traveling and carry your dog to your car for the trip.

Do you have a dog story to tell? Contact nia.dalton@reachplc.com.

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/owner-petrified-after-puppy-bitten-26860603 Owner 'Petrified' After Puppy Face Bit by Venomous Snake, Unresponsive

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button