News

Pets At Home is withdrawing three dog leashes from sale in the UK following the tragic death of the puppy

Pets At Home has withdrawn its holdings of KONG Rope Dog Leads to conduct an investigation into the death of Archie, a beagle harrier who was killed by a van

Heartbroken owner Ed with Archie the Beagle Harrier
Heartbroken owner Ed with Archie the Beagle Harrier

Pets At Home has taken three dog leashes off their shelves across the UK after a puppy broke loose and was killed by a van.

Archie, a beagle harrier, was being walked with a harness attached to a KONG leash when, without warning, it snapped open and Archie stepped in front of the van.

The poor dog was killed instantly, his family fractured, and he was asking questions to Pets At Home, who sell the leash, reports Live in Belfast.

His family, Belfast-based Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes, had bought the lead just 48 hours earlier, trusting the KONG brand would not let them down while they continued to train one-year-old Archie.

Pets At Home was contacted by the couple about the accident and within hours the company had every KONG Rope Dog leash withdrawn from sale in all branches.







The problematic lead that was removed from the sale
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)







Joanne and Ed’s engagement celebrations also included Archie
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)

Joanne and Ed are urging the public to check their own dog leashes after their #Action4Archie campaign resulted in the one they bought and two others being withdrawn across Europe.

The pair have requested an official product recall notice from Pets At Home, which can only be made if initiated by US company Mission Pets.

Ed, 39, from Dunmurry, who was walking Archie at the time of the accident, said: “Archie was basically my little son. That’s exactly how I feel. I have no children of my own, he was my little man, my first dog and the best thing to come into our home.

“Joanne and I adored him and we always joked that if we had to choose between one of us and the dog it would be a close call. Now he’s gone and our home feels desolate. Our hearts are broken.”

Joanne bought the KONG brand leash from Pets At Home last Saturday.







Little Archie was loved by both of his owners
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)







Archie was one year old when he was killed
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)

On Sunday, the clip opened up during a walk, releasing Archie, but the pair were able to lock him in a driveway and reattach the lead.

The next day, during another walk, the carabiner opened again, but this time Archie stepped onto the road before Ed could get him to safety and the dog was hit by a van. Archie died on the side of the road.

Ed said: “We checked the leash well before our walk on Monday because it had opened unexpectedly the day before and seemed to be working fine.

“We trusted the KONG brand and we trusted that Pets At Home would only sell guaranteed safe leads. But now we know there are no guarantees.







Ed was taking Archie for a walk when the pup was able to free himself from the leash
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)

“Witnessing what happened to Archie from life to death in a matter of seconds was an absolute trauma. I saw the whole thing play out, I heard the sound, I replayed it over and over in my mind. I am tormented by it.

“I feel guilty that he was killed while I was with him. Joanne feels guilty that we bought the lead.

“We are just devastated and angry and would like to caution other canine families not to assume, as we have, that a trusted brand bought in good faith from a trusted store cannot fail when you need it most.”

The couple got in touch with Pets At Home to tell them what happened using the KONG Rope Dog leash and were initially refunded £18.99.







The couple are still mourning Archie’s death
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)

Desperate, they turned to BelfastLive for help.

Joanne said: “We were sick with shock, we had to explain what had happened and we wanted to understand how Archie could possibly be dead when we’d spent his entire life making sure he was safe, secure and taken care of was.

“With the help we got to KONG and then to the manufacturer of the leash in the US, a company called Mission Pets.







Archie on his first birthday in March
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)

“Thankfully they listened to us, they responded quickly and the leashes with this particular lobster clasp were immediately discontinued and removed from all Pets At Home stores with immediate effect.

“The three companies now want our lead to run tests on it and try to make sure what happened never happens again. It will be turned over to Mission Pets for full testing.

“Unfortunately, it’s just too late for our little man. We are devastated, devastated to have lost Archie in this way. He was such a good boy, the heart of our family, just beginning the long and healthy life we ​​had hoped for. He just turned one year old a week ago. Now he’s dead and all we have is his ashes in a barrel.







Ed and Joanne before losing Archie
(

Image:

Joanne McPoland and Ed Hughes)

“If we hadn’t used that lead, if that clip hadn’t failed, we’d have him safe and happy here by our side. Instead, our home was consumed with sorrow.

“It was awful for the driver too, he was in tears and he has our deepest sympathy. We hope he is doing well. The only lucky thing is that Ed didn’t get hit by a car because he instinctively got out to get Archie.”

A Pets At Home spokesman said: “We were devastated to hear of what has happened to Archie and our hearts go out to Ms McPoland and Mr Hughes at this very difficult time.

“We take safety concerns of this nature very seriously and are withdrawing three Kong products that use this snap hook, including the Rope Dog Lead, while we work with Kong to understand what happened.

“We have contacted Ms McPoland to express our condolences and will keep her informed of the outcome of our investigation.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pets-home-withdraw-three-dog-26561827 Pets At Home is withdrawing three dog leashes from sale in the UK following the tragic death of the puppy

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button