A married mother of five died after eating a ‘vegan’ wrap Pret a crib containing milk, an inquest has heard.
That Court heard that Pret a Manger does not carry out its own checks on manufacturers who offer dairy-free products for its vegan ranges.
An investigation is is to be completed in Avon Coroner’s Court in the death of Celia Marsh, who suffered a fatal allergic reaction shortly after eating on December 27, 2017 Super Vegetarian Rainbow Flatbread.
The coconut yoghurt used as a dressing by the Australian brand CoYo, which was licensed to the British company Planet Coconut for production in Great Britain, is said to have contained traces of milk.
The investigation found Ms Marsh avoided all dairy products after a near-fatal allergic reaction a few months earlier that required 15 shots of adrenaline.
Avon Senior Coroner Maria Voisin will present her conclusion on the case this morning.
Mrs. Marsh had been on a post-Christmas shopping spree with her husband and three of their daughters when she went to the Pret around 2pm to buy some food.
She was pronounced dead less than two hours later.
The packaging had been entirely consumed and the tub of CoYo brand yoghurt from which it was made was discarded before Bath and North East Somerset Council began its investigation.
However, tests on other pots found small amounts of milk protein in the product, with traces found in another rainbow foil.
During the two-week investigation, a chemist acknowledged the amount of dairy in the package was too small to measure with any accuracy, but said it definitely contained milk.
It is believed that the contamination comes from the HG1 starch in the yoghurt.
Parties interested in the study were Bath and North East Somerset Council, CoYo and Planet Coconut.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/22553768.pret-manger-inquest-conclude-mum-dies-eating-vegan-wrap/?ref=rss Pret a Manger: Investigation closed after mother dies after eating ‘vegan’ wrap