Prince Andrew, who recently settled a civil sex claim, will join other members of the royal family at the memorial service for his late father Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey next week
Image: Getty Images)
The Duke of York plans to attend the memorial service of his late father, the Duke of Edinburgh, next week, reports say.
Andrew, who recently settled a civil suit against him, will be present at the event at Westminster Abbey on Tuesday (March 29).
His planned attendance was reported by the BBC on Monday and the PA news agency understands he will be there.
It would be his first public appearance since the out-of-court settlement — disclosed in court filings in mid-February — with his accuser, Virginia Giuffre.
A large number of the royal family, including the Queen, are expected to attend the service next week, along with Philip’s friends, colleagues and representatives from organizations he supports.
Andrew stepped down from his royal duties in November 2019. He attended Philip’s funeral in April 2021.
In January, the Queen stripped her second son of his prestigious honorary military titles and royal patronage, and he stopped using his HRH style, effectively driving him out of the institution.
But it was thought that any decision about Andrew’s presence would depend on whether the Queen viewed the Thanksgiving service as a family event or an official engagement and how concerned she and her royal aides were that Andrew’s presence would distract from the event.
WPA Pool/Getty Images)
do you love the royals Sign up for Mirror’s daily newsletter for the latest news on the Queen, Charles, Kate, Wills, Meghan, Harry and the rest of The Firm. Click here to login.
Last month, a letter filed in US District Court said Andrew “regretted his association” with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein and agreed to make a “significant donation” to Ms. Giuffre’s charity after the couple had entered into an undisclosed agreement. court settlement in her civil lawsuit against him.
Earlier this month it was confirmed that Prince Harry will miss the memorial service. A spokesman for the US-based prince said he would not be returning for the high-profile occasion, but added that he hoped to visit his grandmother, the Queen, soon.
Meanwhile, it has been reported that two-metre-high privacy screens, a helicopter and a football tunnel could be used in a military operation to bring the Queen to the monument while protecting her privacy.
The 95-year-old monarch is said to be determined to attend the memorial service for her late husband, who died in April aged 99, despite the event at Westminster Abbey coming at a time when she has been forced to retire from several engagements last time.
One of them was last Monday’s Commonwealth Day service, also at the Abbey, with the decision to cancel her performance related to her “convenience” of traveling the 26-mile journey from Windsor Castle to London and the event to survive, rather than a specific disease.
Her Majesty has been dealing with increasing problems with her mobility in recent months, leaving her struggling “on certain days” according to palace sources.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-andrew-plans-attend-philip-26524275 Prince Andrew plans to attend the Philip memorial in the first outing since the sex case was settled