The Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, is said to have personally received the €500 cash notes from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, who was Prime Minister of Qatar between 2011 and 2015
Prince Charles is said to have accepted more than €3m in cash donations from an ex-Qatar PM – including €1m in a suitcase.
Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani reportedly handed over banknotes at meetings between 2011 and 2015.
The startling revelations came as the Prince of Wales sought to make up for the UK’s human rights record by announcing a national day of remembrance for the victims of Britain’s slave trade.
Ironically, Qatar has long been questioned about its own human rights record.
The one million euros in a suitcase are said to have been handed over at a meeting at Clarence House. On another occasion, cash was stuffed into tote bags at upscale London store Fortnum and Mason. The Sunday Times reported.
The newspaper said the money was given in €500 bills – a now-defunct denomination dubbed “Bin Laden” for its links to terrorist financing.
Clarence House insisted that the money was “immediately passed on to one of the Prince’s charities who carried out the relevant arrangements and assured us that all correct procedures were followed”.
The charity in question is the Prince of Wales’ Charitable Fund. It is understood that at least one trustee was unaware of the funds.
Furthermore, none of Charles’s meetings with Al Thani appear in the Court Circular’s records of royal engagements.
Charles is already embroiled in a Cash for Honors scandal over allegations that former aide Michael Fawcett helped fix a CBE for Saudi billionaire Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz.
The Qatari connection will raise eyebrows. It is illegal to be gay in the Arab state and women face severe discrimination. The country is hosting the World Cup this year despite Amnesty International claiming that 6,500 migrant workers have died on construction projects. Qatar disputes the figures.
News of the cash transactions took the shine off Charles’ groundbreaking call for a national day of remembrance for the millions forced into slavery.
A source close to the prince said it could resemble Holocaust Remembrance Day and Charles is stepping up efforts with community leaders to make it happen.
The source said: “The Holocaust was appalling and horrifying and as we recognize the horrors of the past, the Prince believes there should be equal recognition of our slave trade past.
“Britain is made up of a very diverse population and so is the Commonwealth. The Prince of Wales is looking for more ways to celebrate these different aspects of the collective.
“We have gained a better understanding of the Holocaust so that it is recognized and learned at a national level, but the same cannot be said of the slave trade. The Prince has recognized that this must be done and if there is a movement to support this, the Prince of Wales will certainly lend his support.”
Speaking to Commonwealth leaders in Rwanda on Friday, Charles, 73, described his regret that Britain had shipped African slaves to the US. He said:
“I cannot describe the depth of my personal sadness at the suffering of so many.
“I want to recognize that the roots of our association today go deep into the most painful time of our history. Many of these errors belong to an earlier age with different – in some ways lower – values.
“By working together, we are building a new and lasting friendship.” The Memorial Day move comes after public relations disasters involving the royals in the Caribbean.
Video not available
In March, images from Jamaica showed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge touching local children’s fingers through a wire fence.
Her use of a Land Rover, driven by the Queen on a visit in the 1960s, has been compared to colonialism.
Last year, Charles’ visit to Barbados ahead of a Republican surrender was marred by locals who called his appearance “an insult” and called for redress. David Denny, who led the protests in Barbados, reiterated a call for redress last night and responded to the Charles Memorial Day plan.
He said: “I’m glad he made the suggestion, but such a call should come from the people of Africa themselves. He has no right to set a day for Africans.”
Meanwhile, Charles announced yesterday that he will commission portraits of Windrush pioneers and will host and attend events to mark the 75th anniversary of the arrival of immigrants from the Caribbean in 1948.
Charles said: “The Windrush ship arrived in Tilbury the year I was born and inspired a generation to call this country their home. This generation has made immeasurable contributions to the society we share. So I wanted to give my own heartfelt appreciation to the role they played.”
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-accepted-suitcase-stuffed-27328466 Prince Charles accepted a suitcase filled with 1 million euros in cash from the Qatar Sheikh