It has emerged that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are planning to bring their children Archie, three, and Lilibet, 11 months, when they return to the UK to attend the Queen’s 70th Jubilee celebrations
Image: Getty Images)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle told a Sussex insider they didn’t want to appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony for their platinum anniversary.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex instead asked to attend the Queen’s Thanksgiving service, which is due to take place on Friday 3 June.
It has emerged the couple are planning to bring their children Archie, three, and Lilibet, 11 months, when they return to the UK to attend celebrations marking the 70th anniversary of the monarch’s throne.
The Queen has ruled that Prince Harry, Meghan and even her own son Prince Andrew cannot stand next to her during the historic Trooping of the Color parade after only inviting working royals onto the balcony.
But a friend of the couple says they weren’t cut off the royal guest list but asked for it themselves.
Omid Scobie, the couple’s biographer and author of Finding Freedom, said Harry “had spoken to his grandmother about the possibility of not participating in Trooping the Color” well before the controversial announcement last week.
tells Scobie Yahoo NewsThe Sussexes – who renounced their royal titles in 2020 before starting a new life in the US – felt it was “inappropriate” to appear on the balcony.
Instead, Prince Harry told his grandmother he was “very keen” to be invited to her Thanksgiving service at St Paul’s Cathedral on Friday.
However, a royal expert says the couple’s decision to return to the celebrations was “solely down to branding”.
Despite this, royal author and broadcaster Hugo Vickers says their participation in the celebrations is to ensure they preserve their royal brand.
He said True Royalty TVs The Royal Beat: “I think it’s entirely to do with branding, because the further away it is [Harry] given by the royal family, he transforms into a guy in blue jeans with a red beard who gets off a plane with a backpack on his head.
“Which, in my view, is not very marketable.”
Meanwhile, Russell Myers, royal editor of the Mirror, added: “I think they [The Sussexes] would of course have wanted on the balcony.
“There is an argument that they must still be considered royal.
“This is one of the biggest events of the generation and they must remain relevant.
“You’re not having a great time right now. There is pressure from Netflix, who have canceled Meghan’s debut show, Pearl [and] I think they may struggle to stay relevant.”
Keep up to date with the latest news from The Queen, Charles, William, Kate, Harry, Meghan, George, Charlotte, Louis, Archie and the rest of the family.
We’re sending the best royal news straight to your inbox, so you don’t miss a thing. Subscribe here to our newsletter.
Earlier this week it was reported that Prince William is reportedly “cautious” about Harry’s presence at the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee next month, amid fears he will reveal details of private conversations.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been told a Netflix film crew following them will be stopped by royal enforcers attempting to film the celebrations.
But William is said to have feared the contents of a heart-to-heart conversation he had with his younger brother on the special occasion on Harry and Meghan’s show could be released on the streaming service.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-harry-meghan-told-queen-26967731 Prince Harry and Meghan told Queen they didn't want to be on the balcony, their pal claims