The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are moving into a new home on the Windsor estate, Kensington Palace has confirmed.
With the move, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis will start the new school year at Lambrook School in September this year.
The four-bedroom house, Adelaide Cottage, is a lovely Grade II listed four-bedroom house nestled in Windsor’s Home Park – and it has quite a scandalous history.
It was once the home of Princess Margaret’s lover Peter Townsend, who lived at the sanctuary with his first wife Rosemary in the 1940s to assist the king in his role as stable master.
Princess Elizabeth, now the Queen, her mother Queen Elizabeth and her sister Margaret regularly drank tea in the cottage gardens with the Townsends and their two young sons as a teenager before the romance began.
Margaret’s love affair shook the establishment, but she put duty before desire when she called off her plans to marry the estranged Townsend in 1955.
The move to Adelaide Cottage means William, Kate and their children are just a 10-minute walk south-east of ‘Gan Gan’, the Queen, at Windsor Castle.
Even closer is Frogmore Cottage, which is used by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when visiting Britain. Princess Eugenie currently lives here with her husband Jack Brooksbank and their one-year-old son August.
The property was converted more than 190 years ago as the Cottage Orne or Decorated Cottage for Queen Adelaide, wife of William IV, as a summer residence.
It was built in 1831 on the site of the old Head Keeper’s Lodge on the north slopes of Home Park.
According to Historic England, the public body that looks after England’s historic buildings and sites, Adelaide Cottage is a “quaint” two-storey house with stucco facades, casement windows and ornate openwork bargeboards framing the roof.
The master bedroom has a vaulted ceiling decorated with gilded dolphins and rope ornaments reused from the 19th century royal yacht Royal George and a good Greco-Egyptian marble fireplace.
The south entrance is flanked by two diagonal chimneys with stepped bases, and the house has a porte-cochere, a covered entrance that provides shelter.
On the east side is a porch with bargeboard eaves.
The four bedrooms mean Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo, William and Kate’s full-time nanny, will live elsewhere for the first time since joining the family, as will other staff including the housekeeper and cook, making the Cambridge’s offers more privacy.
The location gives the family easy access to the private 655 acre Home Park and the historic royal estate’s network of driveways, gardens, farms, nearby Trout Stream, Frogmore House and the Royal Mausoleum, and the cedar-lined Queen Victoria’s Walk.
Other perks include the neighboring Windsor Great Park, which stretches over 12,000 acres, with its Long Walk leading to Windsor Castle, the deer park and woodland walks in the Valley Gardens.
The estate, formerly known as Adelaide Lodge, was built by Sir Jeffry Wyatville using materials from John Nash’s Royal Lodge built for the indulgent Prince Regent.
Its entrance bears the initials AR (Adelaide Regina) and the date 1831. It is adjacent to another property called Adelaide Lodge which is empty and habitable as it has not been fortified.
According to the Royal Collection Trust, Queen Victoria often visited the cottage for breakfast or tea.
Her beloved King Charles Spaniel Dash, to whom she would dress a scarlet jacket and blue trousers, was buried there after his death in 1840.
He was honored with an exuberant inscription on his funeral reading: “Here lies Dash, Her Majesty Queen Victoria’s favorite spaniel, in his 10 you would be loved and die regretted, benefit from Dash’s example.”
The house, which has a fountain in the center of the garden, was more recently the home of Simon Rhodes, son of the Queen’s late first cousin Margaret Rhodes.
https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/prince-william-and-kates-new-home-has-link-to-royal-affair-41930594.html Prince William and Kate’s new home has a connection to royal affairs