Los Angeles prosecutors have put their case on hold during the trial of Harvey Weinstein, who they allege raped two women and sexually assaulted two others.
he moved from deputy district attorney Paul Thompson after nearly four weeks of taking testimonies from 44 witnesses.
Weinstein was charged against four of them: a model, another model and actor, and a third being a massage therapist.
The fourth, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, a documentary filmmaker who was an actress at the time of her alleged rape and is now married to California Governor Gavin Newsom, delivered dramatic moments. at the trial to date with her emotional testimony.
Four other women unrelated to the charges testified that Weinstein sexually assaulted them, as prosecutors sought to show he was predisposed to such acts.
Supreme Court Justice Lisa Lench rejected a request from Weinstein’s lawyers to dismiss all charges against Weinstein, which they said prosecutors failed to prove.
Ms. Lench told jurors, who will have Thanksgiving week off and return to testify for defense witnesses on November 28: “We’re closing this case if you haven’t already. recognize that fact.
She warned them not to use any media related to the trial pointing out “any movie trailers that may be related to this case or movies that may be related to this case.” – well, not related to this case, but related to this issue”.
Without saying the name of the film, she was apparently referring to the Friday release of She Said, a New York Times film that covered the 2017 stories that put Weinstein at the center of the # movement. MeToo.
After the jury was acquitted, Weinstein’s attorney issued a new plea for him to an amended indictment that removed four of the previous 11 charges against him.
The move became necessary as prosecutors said earlier this week that the accuser known in court as Jane Doe #5 would not appear to testify and charges would no longer be pursued. . They will not give a reason when asked.
Video of the day
A spokeswoman for Weinstein, Juda Engelmayer, said in response to the dropped charges that “this witness may feel uncomfortable being scrutinized knowing the truth of the matter”.
Prosecutors also did not explain why Mel Gibson went missing. They never called the actor, director and one of the most anticipated witnesses of the trial. At the start of the trial, the judge ruled that Gibson could testify about a conversation he had with massage therapist Weinstein accused of sexual assault.
In moving to dismiss them, Weinstein’s attorney Alan Jackson considered the remaining seven charges against his client and offered a preview of what are likely the defense’s final arguments.
Mr Jackson said allegations that in 2013 Weinstein raped and sexually assaulted an Italian model known at trial as Jane Doe 1 were particularly baseless, arguing that there was no convincing evidence. which shows that “interlacing has occurred”.
Mr Jackson said there was no evidence there was “any restraint”, as is required for the sexual assault charge, in the part of the case involving model Lauren Young.
Young, the only Weinstein accuser to testify at his trials in both New York and Los Angeles, said she was paralyzed with fear when Weinstein blocked her from leaving the bathroom, masturbated in front of her and groping her breasts in a hotel in 2013.
Mr. Jackson said there was ample evidence, including emails the two exchanged in later years, that Siebel Newsom and Weinstein had a consensual sexual encounter that she later considered rape.
“The defendant’s offer was denied,” Ms. Lench replied. “I think there is enough evidence to send all these charges to a grand jury, and I will.”
Weinstein is serving a two-year 23-year sentence for his sentence in New York, and has been held in a Los Angeles jail during his trial.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/prosecution-rests-case-at-harvey-weinstein-sex-assault-trial-42154083.html Prosecution halts case at Harvey Weinstein sexual assault trial