The public voted for Matt Hancock to take on his third challenge on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!
osts Declan Donnelly and Ant McPartlin revealed former health secretary, 44, and singer-songwriter Boy George, 61, will perform the series’ first eating challenge on Friday.
The Geordie duo said they would both dine at La Cucaracha Cafe, which means cockroach cafe in Spanish.
Earlier on Thursday’s show, Hancock said after his first night at camp he was “sleeping very well” until he was awakened by Boy George meditating in the woods.
The Tory MP was forced to resign in June 2021 after breaking coronavirus social distancing rules by having an affair in his ministry office with aide Gina Coladangelo.
West Suffolk MP has joined the cast of I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! on Wednesday, entered camp with comedian Seann Walsh after facing much criticism of his decision from the public and fellow politicians.
The public also voted for Hancock to join his second trial, the latest Bushtucker Trial, Tentacles of Terror.
Hancock was trapped inside an octopus-shaped cage filled with aquatic creatures in the latest episode.
The MP is tasked with collecting 11 numbered stars in sequence as the structure is lowered into the water, attempting to do so and gain adequate rations for the camp.
Donnelly and McPartlin made a political joke when Hancock had to put his hand in the cage when people saw snakes, eels and small crocodiles.
Video of the day
At the beginning of his trial, McPartlin asked him, “Did you come across a few snakes during your time at Westminster?”
Hancock replied: “I (see) what you did there, shouldn’t we laugh then.”
Donnelly later said: “The typical politician doesn’t listen to the voters.”
McPartlin also said, “When you start talking, he turns his head away” as Hancock descends to look for the stars.
“He beat the question,” said Donnelly.
When asked by his campmates about his resignation, Hancock said he resigned because he understood how people felt about him, after CCTV footage proving the relationship was leaked.
TV presenter and real estate expert Scarlette Douglas told him as they worked around the camp: “I wanted to say this morning that I don’t want to leave things alone.
“A lot has happened to you during that time, which makes it difficult for you because people are angry and upset – emotions are running high.
“We will never exclude anyone. We want to make sure everyone is a family, but if it’s difficult the first few days, I’m sure you understand why. “
Hancock replied: “You say that very well.”
Douglas continued: “It was difficult. A lot of people have had a hard time.
“And then to see that the people who made the rules then broke them, I think that’s a big slap in the face to everyone.”
Hancock replied: “Look, I know how people feel. That’s why I resigned, right? I know how everyone feels and so good to you for saying that, thank you. “
Later in the Bush Telegraph, he added: “Scarlette is very open-minded and also very caring and that’s really all.
“Being able to talk about anything, whether it’s the things you’re proud of or the things you’re not proud of.”
Later, speaking with comedian Babatunde Aleshe, Hancock discussed how his life changed after his affair became public.
“It was really difficult,” he said.
“I made a mistake and I beat. I resigned and for no reason I fell in love, right? That obviously has a lot of other consequences as well.”
Referring to the CCTV footage, Aleshe replied, “You’re not just ‘in love’ you’re grabbing the spoils”, to which Hancock replied “oh, ignore”.
When asked if he was still with Miss Coladangelo, he replied: “With Gina? Yes, a lot, yes, absolutely.
“That would be the best thing about being kicked out, seeing her on the bridge.”
As Hancock returned to camp after passing his second ordeal, comedian Walsh and soap star Sue Cleaver discussed his decision to enter the Australian jungle.
Defending him, Walsh said: “That man will have a very different story about what he did to what we think happened and there will be a reason.
“I don’t justify anything that guy did or certainly what that government, the decisions they’ve made, but will do his job while it’s happening.”
Cleaver replied, “I totally, completely agree with you, but the choice after everything happened and impacted everyone at home and family and people in the house to choose me as a Celebrity. … Get me out of here don’t sit well with me.
“He’s brought the voters home, he’s a serving member of Congress.”
She then commends him for earning camp meals during his probation.
“He nailed it, Matt did a great job,” Cleaver said.
Labor leader Sir Keir Starmer said on Thursday that Hancock should “voluntarily leave” the I’m A Celebrity rainforest and return to Parliament.
In response to a question on BBC Radio Humberside, Sir Keir said his decision to join the show was “a mistake”.
“He should go back to Westminster, he should go back to Parliament and do his job,” he said.
In a separate development, Walsh also spoke about being pictured in October 2018 kissing his co-star Katya Jones during their on-stage date.
The 36-year-old comedian said he wanted the show to be a “positive experience” and remained “very sorry” for his behavior while he was in a relationship with actress Rebecca Humphries.
Mike Tindall also revealed more details about royal wife Zara Phillips giving birth to her third child on the bathroom floor in March 2021.
I’m a celebrity… Get me out of here! continues on ITV at 9pm on Friday.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/public-votes-for-matt-hancock-to-take-on-third-im-a-celebrity-trial-42135638.html Publicly Vote for Matt Hancock to Join the Third Trial of I’m a Celebrity