Prince Andrew’s birthday will no longer be celebrated by raising the Union flag at government buildings following his multi-million pound out-of-court settlement
Image: Getty Images)
The Queen is one of only two royals whose birthdays are being marked with flags in the wake of the Prince Andrew scandal.
Prince Charles is the only other royal to share the tradition amid changes following the Duke of York row.
Birthday custom calls for Union flags to be displayed on government buildings on the birthdays of the Queen and her eldest son.
Her younger son Andrew has been removed from the list on the government website, as have the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal.
The Sun reported that the broader screening of family members was done to avoid embarrassment for Andrew, who paid millions to settle a US civil sex-assault case in February.
It came after he was pushed out of public life over his friendship with billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and sexual assault by Virginia Giuffre.
Guidelines on the set days when the Union flag must be flown on UK government buildings appear to have changed on February 11 this year.
This was just four days before Andrew reached his out-of-court settlement with his accuser Ms Giuffre, a month after the Queen stripped him of his military patronage and he gave up his HRH style, and a week before his 62nd birthday.
Andrew denied the allegations against him and the settlement is not an admission of guilt.
His 60th birthday in 2020 sparked a storm of controversy after councilors sent notes from the private secretary to the permanent secretary of the Department for Housing, Communities and Local Government reminding them to fly the flag in his honour.
The government later said this was not necessary.
Other removed dates include the late Duke of Edinburgh’s birthday on June 10 and the Queen and Philip’s wedding anniversary on November 20.
Philip, who was married to the Queen for more than 70 years, died in April 2021 at the age of 99.
The Duke of York stepped down from royal duties after the Queen stripped him of his military titles and HRH status following the sex scandal in January.
Andrew denied the allegations against him and later reached an out-of-court settlement with his accuser.
Now it seems Prince William is taking a more leading role in ensuring Prince Andrew stays behind closed doors.
The Duke of Cambridge has “strong views” of Andrew and believes that “his insistence on sticking to a public role is highly dangerous for the institution,” a source said Daily Mail.
Another source, a friend, added that William “would have cut [Andrew] been going on for a long time if he had had his way”.
The reports come after Andrew was reportedly furious at being left out of the lavish Garter Day procession at Windsor Castle earlier this month.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-charles-only-royals-birthdays-27280833 Queen and Charles were the only royals to mark birthdays with flags in the wake of the Andrew scandal