The Queen stripped Prince Andrew of all royal and military titles yesterday after summoning him to Windsor Castle.
The disgraced duke, 61, who is facing a possible sex case trial in the US, looked gray as he was brought to see his mother.
An insider said decided to reduce Andrew – often referred to as “her favorite son” – for a “private citizen” is one of the most difficult of 70 years on the Queen’s throne.
She had previously spoken to senior royals, including Charles and William, who had urged her to act.
The historic decision follows family conversations about the growing issue of the “Andrew problem”.
At 11:30 a.m., she summoned her “favorite son” to Windsor Castle before kicking him out of the Royal Family for an emotional 90-minute summit.
The disgraced Duke looked gray as he and his lawyer were brought to the meeting.
After bringing shame and embarrassment to the Queen, he must now stop using his Royal style in an official capacity. His title will be given to other family members such as his sister Anne.
A source close to Andrew said he would battle in his civil case with Virginia Giuffre, who claims she was sexually abused when she was 17.
Most read in The Irish Sun
The source stressed: “It’s a marathon not a sprint and the Duke will continue to defend himself against these claims.”
Andrew is seeking an out-of-court settlement for Ms Giuffre after Judge Lewis Kaplan ruled he must appear in court in the US. It could be up to £10 million – the amount he will get from the sale of his house in Verbier, Switzerland.
🔵 Read ours Royal Family Live Blog for latest update
In a statement at 5pm yesterday, Buckingham Palace said: “With the Queen’s approval and consent, the military branches of the Duke of York and the royal patronage rights have been repaid. back to the Queen.
“The Duke of York will continue not to perform any public duties and will defend this case as a private citizen.”
The Sun understands that the Queen has personally made the statement and is determined not to allow any emotional feelings into it.
That means he is stripped of the 12 military ranks that had been kept after he resigned in November 2019 following an interview with BBC Newsnight over his car crash.
The move to later 152 veterans signed an open letter urged the Queen to strip her middle son of “all military ranks and titles” because of his connections to sex traffickers Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.
The letter read: “Is this any other senior military officer, can’t believe he’s still in office.”
Andrew lost his honorary roles as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards and RAF Airborne Troops immediately.
He will no longer be allowed to wear their uniform at the Cenotaph memorials and the upcoming Thanksgiving for his late father Prince Philip. Andrew, a Navy helicopter pilot during the Falklands War, will still be allowed to wear his medal like any other veteran.
SAS legend Rusty Firmin, who stormed the Iranian Embassy in 1980, said: “It was the right thing to do. He must step back, not tarnish the names of the regiments.”
Andrew has been stripped of dozens of royal patronages of golf clubs, universities, yacht clubs, sports associations, health organisations, charities and arts foundations. .
He still holds the rank of Vice Admiral of the Navy given to him in 2015 after retiring in 2001.
He is said to have retained the Order of the Garter that was given to him in June 2014.
One of the Queen’s four children, he remains on as an Advisor to the State – so he can replace her if she is unable to carry out her duties due to illness or absence from abroad. .
Last year Charles, William, Edward and Anne ruled that there was no way back for Andrew.
William is said to have been at the castle on Wednesday.
Last night Andrew was holed up at his home, Royal Lodge, Windsor. Late Wednesday, following the judge’s ruling, he spoke with attorneys on both sides of the Atlantic. Yesterday, he spent three hours with his legal team from 8:30am before the Queen made the news live.
His British lawyer Gary Bloxsome accompanied him to the castle.
A source close to the Duke said: “Given the certainty that the judge welcomed our arguments, we are not surprised by this ruling. But that is not a judgment of the value of Ms. Giuffre’s allegation.”
Last night, the Queen’s former press secretary, Dickie Arbiter, said: “I believe this is the end of Andrew. I don’t believe there is a way back.
“It is clear that the Queen is awaiting the judge’s decision. It was a right and inevitable decision. It will be difficult for the Queen. She is a mother but also a Head of State.”
Privy councilor Norman Baker said: “It is true that Andrew has returned his rank. It became an embarrassment everywhere, not least for the military.
“The fact that the Palace is now describing him as a private citizen in his court case tells us he has been really happy and really happy under the royal bus, but the family could not escape the enormous damage that would increase as the case progressed.
“Can he even stay as Duke of York, or has the Queen proceeded up that hill, will he be marched down again?”
Andrew will be asked to give witness testimony in February, where he can be questioned about his sex life and what he did with Ms Giuffre.
Sources close to the Duke claim his team is working on the release of the information but is privately known that they are working on a proposal for a settlement.
Andrew vehemently denies all charges against him.
https://www.thesun.ie/news/8202671/prince-andrew-lose-hrh-titles-queen/ Queen stripped of HRH’s Prince Andrew’s ‘favorite son’ and military rank in incredibly emotional summit amid sexual assault claims