After weeks of warning, Vladimir Putin ordered an all-out invasion of Ukraine, sparking the largest land war in Europe since the 1940s.
Kyiv and other major cities have under Russian shelling in the early hours of Thursday morning. By Friday, reports had surfaced that the army has entered the capital city and that The “Sabotage Group” has arrived against President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
Zelenskyy ordered the head of the Ukrainian army to repel the invading Russian army while inflicting “maximum losses”. The Ukrainian government has also declared martial law in the besieged Eastern European country.
In a pre-recorded nationwide address to the Russian people, President Vladimir Putin announced that he search for “demilitarization and de-nationalization” of Ukraine, a democratically elected Jewish-led country. The Russian president also warned that Kyiv’s allies will “face consequences greater than any you have ever faced in history” if they accept aid to the Eastern European country.
To see how much attention you’ve paid to the latest developments in the pandemic and other global events, put your knowledge to the test with our Quiz of the Week:
Need a reminder of some other headlines from the past seven days?
- Boris Johnson announces a ‘huge package of economic sanctions’ designed to “stagnate the Russian economy”“After the invasion of Ukraine. He was joined in doing so by a host of world leaders, who condemned the gratuitous attack.
- Last remaining Covid-19 restrictions have been removed in the UK when the government came up with a plan to live with the virus.
- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex brought another lawsuit against the British pressfiled a defamation complaint against Associated Newspaper Limited this week.
- Jean-Luc Brunel, a former model agency is being investigated for providing underage girls to the late Jeffrey Epsteinwas found dead in a prison in Paris.
- south Korea changed the strict policy “zero-Covid”switch to a “selective and focused” approach that prioritizes the elderly and vulnerable.
- And Rishi Sunak being questioned by the police through parties held in Downing Street during the nationwide Covid-19 lockdown.
https://www.theweek.co.uk/quiz-of-the-week/955898/quiz-of-the-week-23-february Quiz of the week: February 19 – 25