Hopes of a peace deal between Russia and Ukraine were high after President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described Moscow’s demands as becoming more and more “realistic”.
- SEE MORE Podcast Panorama: What can London do about money launderers in Russia?
- SEE MORE What might a Russia-Ukraine peace plan look like?
- SEE MORE Russia turned back into the Soviet Union?
On Wednesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was quoted in state-controlled media as suggesting that a An “Austrian-like” compromise can be achieved. Tomorrow, Financial Times announced the “15-point plan” which is currently being discussed by Ukrainian and Russian negotiators though Continuously bombard major cities.
The prospect of a peace deal comes amid fears that conflict could escalate after Moscow asks for aid from ally China. The US is also planning to deliver a package of weapons to Ukraine, including so-called “kamikaze” drones, which it hopes will bolster Kyiv’s air defenses later. several weeks of success against the Russian infantry.
To see how much you’ve been paying attention to the latest developments in news and other global events, put your knowledge to the test with our Quiz of the Week:
Need a reminder of some other headlines from the past seven days?
- Anglo-Iranian charity worker jailed Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe returns home hope that other Westerners were imprisoned in Tehran may soon follow.
- Meanwhile, Iran has claim responsibility for a missile attack near a new US consular complex in Erbil, northern Iraq.
- Boris Johnson is back empty-handed after negotiations in Saudi Arabia on increasing oil production as the UK seeks to secure its energy supplies.
- The prime minister’s new energy strategy also likely to include plans to build more nuclear power plants, as well as ramp up solar power generation.
- The Metropolitan Police faced more criticism after it emerged that Undressed police search a 15 year old black girl without an appropriate adult present.
- And a barbaric attack on an Asian-American woman in America caused wave of anti-Asian hatred rises firmly under the spotlight.
https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/956135/quiz-of-the-week-16-march Quiz of the week: March 12 – 18