There is fear that Vladimir Putin may be preparing to deploy chemical weapons in Ukraine in an attempt to break the country’s ability to resist Russian aggression.
- SEE MORE How harsh sanctions have affected the Russian economy
- SEE MORE Why is the West worried about Russia’s chemical attack in Ukraine?
- SEE MORE Should the West offer Vladimir Putin amnesty to end the war in Ukraine?
White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters that officials are “Precaution” for the use of prohibited weapons after Moscow claimed without evidence that Kyiv was considering the use of non-conventional weapons. She described the allegation that Ukraine was planning to use chemical weapons as a “clear conspiracy”.
Boris Johnson warned that Moscow is “saying that there are chemical weapons being kept by their opponents or by the Americans” so that “when they themselves deploy chemical weapons – as I fear – they can maskirovkaa fake story, ready to go”.
More than 4.5 million people are now replaced by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The majority are now in Poland and other neighboring countries.
To see how much attention you have paid to the latest developments in the conflict and other global events, put your knowledge to the test with our Quiz of the Week:
Need a reminder of some other headlines from the past seven days?
- Former Speaker of the House John Bercow has been banned for life from holding a congressional card after an independent panel found he was a member of the House of Representatives. “Serial bully” and “mass liar”.
- Johnson left the door open for lifting ban on jailbreak as he sought to bolster the country’s energy security in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- A woman in her 60s has been arrested on suspicion of murder Martine Vik Magnussena Norwegian student was found dead in London more than a decade ago.
- Spanish company Nueva Pescanova announces grand opening plans The world’s first commercial octopus farm.
- And a US study has found that the Covid-19 pandemic may have claimed the lives of 18.2 million people worldwidemore than three times the official death toll.
https://www.theweek.co.uk/quiz-of-the-week/956065/quiz-of-the-week-9-march Quiz of the week: March 5-11