World Vegetarian Day is celebrated on October 1st each year to promote the benefits of a meatless diet and create a better world by saving animal lives.
It was first observed by the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS) in 1977 and later endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union.
Vegetarianism not only helps sustain animals, but also helps improve human health by reducing the risk of cancer, promoting heart health, and controlling blood pressure. It is also beneficial for the ecosystem as it reduces greenhouse gas emissions and reduces pollution caused by livestock farming.
Here are some quotes from vegetarians that would encourage you to adopt a healthy, plant-based lifestyle (courtesy of: Vegetarian Nation)
- “Animals are my friends…and I don’t eat my friends.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian.” – Linda or Paul McCartney
- “As long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. In fact, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” – Pythagoras
- “The time will come when men like me will view the murder of animals as they now view the murder of humans.” -Leonardo da Vinci
- “A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; so when he eats meat, he engages in taking animal life only for the sake of his appetite. And to do so is immoral.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “It’s often said that humans have always eaten animals, as if that were any justification for continuing the practice. Following this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been happening since the earliest times. “-Isaac Bashevis
- “Animals are nicer than humans and they are conscious beings. If you put your grandmother in an oven, she will probably be delicious. But is that a reason to eat your grandmother?” -Morrissey
- “Nothing changed my life anymore. I feel better as a person, more conscious and responsible for my actions, and I’ve lost weight and my skin got clearer and my eyes got brighter and I just got stronger and healthier and happier. I can’t think of anything better in the world than being vegan.” -Alicia Silverstone
- “I like animals, all animals. I wouldn’t hurt a cat or a dog – or a chicken or a cow. And I wouldn’t ask anyone to hurt her for me. That’s why I’m a vegetarian.” -Peter Dinklage
- “Chickens, pigs and other animals are interesting individuals with personality and intelligence. What people need to understand is that when they eat animals they are promoting animal cruelty.” – Pamela Anderson
Quotes that will encourage you to live a healthy life