Recipe: Turmeric fish fingers with tartar sauce
This is a great recipe for kids, say Nicole Pisani and Joanna Weinberg. The turmeric gives the crumb a golden color and the oats provide an unusual knobbly texture. You are quite delicate at work, so take your time.
Ingredients: feeds 4 (makes 8)
- Drizzle olive oil
- 100 grams of regular flour
- 2 free range eggs
- 75 g panko breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp Chinese five spices
- 5 heaped tbsp oatmeal
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 500g pollock (or similar), cut into 10cm x 2cm pieces
- 1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- sea salt and black pepper
For the remoulade
- 170 grams of mayonnaise
- 30 g green pitted olives, finely chopped
- 25 g capers, finely chopped
- 60 g gherkins, finely chopped
- small bunch of dill, roughly chopped
- small bunch of chervil or parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan/240°C/475°F/gas mark 9
- Line a large baking sheet with a baking mat that you drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Prepare the diving stations. Line up three lip plates: on the first one, add the flour with a large pinch of salt and pepper and mix. In the second, crack the eggs and whisk lightly with a fork. In the third, add panko breadcrumbs, five spices, rolled oats, turmeric, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and stir to combine.
- Find a partner and divide the chores — one person covers the fish in flour, then dips it in the egg, while the other person rolls the fish sticks in the breadcrumb mixture, then places them on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle the fish fingers with a little more oil and bake for 15 minutes until golden and the fish is opaque.
- For the tartare simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Serve the fish fingers with the tartare and a lime or lemon wedge.
- Chef’s Note: If you like bold flavors, increase the Chinese five spices to ¾ teaspoon.
Chefs in Schools is a charity that works with schools to improve children’s food. Nicole Pisani is co-founder, Joanna Weinberg is one of her patrons. Recipe taken from Feed Your Family: Exciting Recipes From School Chefs! by Nicole Pisani and Joanna Weinberg, published by Pavilion Books for £14.99. To buy from TheWeek Bookshop for £11.99 call 020-3176 3835 or visit us theweekbookshop.co.uk.
https://www.theweek.co.uk/arts-life/food-drink/956149/recipe-turmeric-fish-fingers-tartare-sauce Recipe: Turmeric fish fingers with tartar sauce