Inn Féin health spokesman David Cullinane has urged the committee’s chair, party colleague Seán Crowe, to hold an “urgent” meeting of the committee.
Mr Cullinane said TCD Provost Linda Doyle should be invited to appear before the committee, along with Health Secretary Stephen Donnelly and Secretaries-General of Health and Taoiseach Robert Watt and Martin Fraser.
Mr Cullinane also wants the Health Research Board, which said last week it was “not involved in any discussion” about the creation of the TCD position, to appear before the committee.
The Oireachtas Finance Committee is already investigating the failed secondment of Dr. Holohan to TCD and Mr Donnelly is due this week to appoint an outside expert to conduct a review after Mr Watt prepares a report for the Minister.
If the Health Committee also decides to consider the posting, it would be the third body to do so.
“If the Secretary General [Martin Fraser] Last before the committee, he did not answer questions about procedure and funding, although he made his intentions clear to the Provost in his March 16 letter,” Mr. Cullinane wrote.
“Given the additional information now publicly available about an annual recurring allocation of $2 million,
“There are issues of probity and good governance that need to be addressed by the committee.”
Labor Senator and Health Committee member Annie Hoey said there can never be “too much oversight or transparency” when it comes to public funds and whether the committee would consider the secondment would be “fought out” at the meeting.
“We need to look closely at how our official leaders work and hold them accountable,” she said.
The committee’s colleague, TD Neasa Hourigan of the Greens, said there was a “need to understand the process” behind the failed delegation, but warned against doing the work again.
“Someone should do it, but I don’t think two committees should do the same thing. I’m not opposed to Deputy Cullinane’s proposal, but if Treasury is already working on it, I think only a committee should go ahead with it,” she said.
dr Holohan, who is scheduled to step down as CMO in July, was to remain a Department of Health official but be seconded to TCD indefinitely until his retirement in about 10 years, while retaining his €187,000 CMO salary and any pay rises due.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin interrupted the delegation and Dr. Holohan later announced that he would not be taking on the role.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/call-for-third-inquiry-into-botched-tony-holohan-transfer-41568152.html Request a third investigation into Tony Holohan’s botched transfer